FAFSA Night for Students

Marissa Howes, Staff Writer

Robinson High School is holding a Free Application for Federal Student Aid, or FAFSA, workshop for students in the media center on Wednesday, Feb. 11 from 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. FAFSA is an application students can fill out and, depending on their qualifications and the money available, will grant them money for college.

FAFSA aids Florida students each year and gives thousands of dollars in financial aid that can be put towards federal grants, loans and work-study funds.

For the workshop being held, there are a few things that should be brought in order to complete the application:

• Parent and student social security numbers
  • Student’s driver’s license (if they have one)
  • Federal tax information or tax returns, including W-2 information, for the student and parent
  • Records of untaxed income
  • Information on cash; savings and checking accounts, investments, and business assets for students and parents

“Anyone who wants to receive any kind of federal aid or scholarships from any college, whether  [the college] is four- or two-year, needs to fill out the FAFSA,” said Meg Fernandez, a parent volunteer for the CUBE. “All students should fill it out.”

Fernandez believes it is a great opportunity to avoid student loans and debt in the future.

“It’s very important to apply sooner rather than later,” she said, noting the money available for FAFSA is finite. “Those students who apply in January, February and March might seem more generous funding than those who applied later in the year.”

The workshop being held is an opportunity for students to complete the FAFSA and for those who have any questions regarding how to complete it. During the workshop, pizza and beverages will be provided to all visitors and there will be a drawing for two $50 Visa gift cards for the participants of the workshop.