Preview: Armwood at Robinson

Photo M. Hall

Bailey Adams, Sports Editor

After three straight losses to start the season, the Knights will finally take the field at home Friday night, barring a failed final bleacher inspection. Next on the schedule for Robinson is the undefeated Armwood Hawks, who were widely regarded as a state title contender before the season and have not given reason to think otherwise so far this year. Coming into this week, Armwood has outscored their opponents by a score of 100-14, with all 14 points being allowed in their season opener against Durant.

REWIND: In week four of the 2013 season, Armwood handed Robinson their fourth loss of the season with a 27-0 win at home. The Hawks held the Knights to just 73 yards of total offense on the night to compensate for a sluggish offensive performance. Quarterback Noah Johnson rushed for 32 yards and a touchdown but struggled with his passing game.

PLAYERS TO WATCH (Armwood):

Byron Cowart- The senior defensive end has over thirty college offers, which include Florida State, Alabama, LSU, and Oregon. Listed at 6’4″, 250-pounds, Cowart is ranked as the top strong-side defensive end in the country by 247sports.com’s composite rankings. Early in 2014, he is averaging 6 tackles per game.

Noah Johnson- Johnson leads his team into Friday night as their unquestioned offensive leader after racking up 1,980 passing yards, 809 rushing yards and 32 total touchdowns in 2013. In the first three games of the 2014 season, the senior signal-caller has helped the Hawks to three straight games of scoring more than 25 points.

PLAYERS TO WATCH (Robinson):

J.J. Henderson- The two-way playmaker has been all over the field so far this season as a wide receiver and a defensive back. With senior Jahrvis Davenport graduating after this year, Henderson will need to step up in 2015 as one of the Knights’ leading receivers. In the first three games this season, he is averaging 11.2 yards per catch. Offensive coordinator Craig Everhart summed up Henderson’s future with the program in one word: “promising.”

Demontre Moore- The strong-side defensive end has a chance to continue making a name for himself on Friday night as his senior season continues. The 6’3″, 235-pound Moore has totaled 13 tackles (10 solo) so far this season with one sack.

Kickoff for Friday night’s district tilt is set for 7:30. As long as the bleachers pass a final inspection, the game will be played at Robinson (6311 S Lois Ave, Tampa, FL 33616). If the bleachers do not pass, the game will be moved to Jefferson High School (4401 W Cypress St, Tampa, FL 33607). Allowing that the game is played at home, Knights fans will be sitting in the north bleachers (usually the visitors’ bleachers). For confirmation on the location of Friday night’s game, follow @RobinsonKnights on Twitter or like “Robinson Knights News” on Facebook.