Lady Knights win 6-5 against Alonso, first home game

Captain+Alex+Kirkner+%2820%29+bunts+the+ball+during+the+Alonso+game.+

Photo Zoe McIntyre

Captain Alex Kirkner (’20) bunts the ball during the Alonso game.

Jasmine Vidovich, Staff Writer

The Robinson Lady Knights faced the Alonso Ravens (1-2) last Thursday, Feb. 21. The Knights beat them 6-5 in their first win of the season, making a strong start for the Lady Knights early into the year.

“In this game, we did really well hitting-wise, we also came together on the field and got all the outs that we needed,” Captain Ashlyn Brushwood (’19) said. “If we take that forward into our next game, I think we’ll have a good season.”

Lindsey Chadwick (’22) led both teams in hits throughout the night, totaling three hits, including one double. Candace Ripine (’22) also got one of the only doubles throughout the game.

After the first two innings, the Knights led the Ravens by four runs, however Alonso outscored the Lady Knights 5-2 in the next three innings. To put some pressure on the Ravens, Alexis Smith (’19), captain and shortstop for the Lady Knights, received plenty of action on the field while only committing one error. At bat, she went one for three, scoring one run.

“Last game, I hit poorly, so at practice I just worked on my hitting more, and I focused on watching the ball and it  showed on the field tonight. I made more contact than I did before.” Smith said.

After Alonso’s three-inning five-run gain, the Lady Knights shut them out for the last two innings, clinching the 6-5 win.

“They work hard every day, they work hard on defense, they work hard on hitting every day,” Head Coach Ed Gallio said. “They don’t take a day off.”

The Lady Knights face Plant Thursday, Feb. 28, at Robinson High School at 7 p.m (6311 S Lois Ave, 33616).

“We can play with anybody,” Gallio said. “These girls can play with anybody.”