Knights lose in overtime to rival Panthers

The Robinson boys’ basketball team fell in a tight game with Plant, 76-68.

Photo Jack Kirk

Zach Hearing (’20) battles for position with a Plant player.

Jack Kirk, Sports Editor

In the second meeting between the rival schools, Robinson and Plant played to a stalemate in regulation, resulting in the game going into an overtime period. It was Plant who outlasted the Knights, winning 76-68.

The game was back and forth, with both teams exchanging the lead every few minutes. Robinson held the lead at the end of the first three quarters, but could not get enough separation to keep Plant down.

“It was a matter of who made more shots at the end of the day.” guard Joshua Hall-Gomez (’20) said. “We should’ve kept our composure, but we didn’t, and it showed at the end result”.

The first half of the game was in favor of the Knights, outscoring the Panthers 40-33. The next two quarters were in favor of the Panthers, with them outscoring Robinson 32-25.

In the end, it came down to the four-minute overtime period, where Plant took control and won the period 11-3, putting the score to 76-68 as the final buzzer rang.

The Knights had a game plan that they wanted to execute during the game, and they stuck to it.

“…we felt like if we played physical man defense we would be in the game all the way through and it worked.” guard Joe Strickland (’20) said. “[We] just were’t able to execute in overtime”.

Despite the loss, there were some bright spots for the Knights. Four players on the team scored ten points or more, with guard Dexter Caldwell score a team high 21 points, including five three pointers on 70 percent shooting from the field, while also leading the team in assists with four.

Robinson forward Treyshawn Howard (’22) led the team in rebounds, grabbing 13 total rebounds, two offensive and 11 defensive.

The Knights were 5-6 on the season coming into the game, and were 1-1 on the week. On Jan 7, the Knights fell to Jesuit, but came out the next night and defeated Chamberlain. The narrow loss to Plant put the Knights at 5-7 on the season, and 1-2 for the week.

There are some positive things the team plans on taking away from the loss.

“I think this is the hardest we’ve played all season,” Strickland said. “…going forward all of us are going to play with more intensity”.

The Knights’ next game is an away game against the Blake Yellow Jackets at Blake High School on Jan. 14 at 8 p.m. (1701 N. Boulevard, Tampa, FL 33607)