What you missed at the D23 Expo

One of the logos for the D23 2019 Expo. (d23.com)

Anna Woodward, Online Managing Editor

This past weekend, the bi-annual D23 Expo was held in Anaheim, California. As said on their website (d23.com), the convention is devoted to celebrating “all the magic, wonder, and adventure of Disney.”

Not only is the event a great way for Disney fans across the world to come together and celebrate, it acts as a way to announce what’s coming to the parks, studio and everything else Disney has to offer to fans. At RHSToday, we’ve compiled a list of the biggest things that were announced and what’s to come from one of the biggest names in the entertainment industry (information from the Disney Parks Blog).

EpcotThe Orlando park will be refurbished, adding “The Journey of Water,” a Moana-inspired experience, an exhibit called “The Epcot Experience” where guests can see “some never-before-revealed details driving the future of Epcot” and a Mary Poppins-inspired attraction at the United Kingdom Pavilion. Additionally, there will be a “Beauty and the Beast” singalong, the Remy’s Ratatouille Adventure ride and new restaurant La Crêperie de Paris in the France Pavilion, a film called “Canada Far and Wide in Circle-Vision 360” in the Canada Pavilion and an attraction in the China Pavilion called “Wondrous China”, where guests can see the country in a “360-degree digital format.” The park will also feature a new pavilion will be added as a home base for festivals like the Food and Wine Festival, a “Guardians of the Galaxy” ride and a new Mission: SPACE-inspired restaurant.

Star Wars: Galactic Starcruiser: Soon, guests will be able to stay in a Star Wars-inspired hotel on the Walt Disney World Resort. At the hotel, guests can interact with characters from the franchise and unleash their inner jedi.

Avengers Campus: At Disneyland Paris and Disney California Adventure, there will be superhero-themed lands featuring the Avengers. According to the Official Disney Parks Blog, “When guests visit Avengers Campus, they will become part of an interconnected, global story that spans from California to Paris to Hong Kong with the Avengers recruiting new extraordinary people to join them.”

Target and Disney: The two companies are collaborating to bring Disney merch to Target. 25 Disney stores will be launched inside select Targets starting October 4, with more locations to come in the future. The stores will carry products usually found only at Disney stores.

Hong Kong Disneyland and Shanghai Disney Resort: The park will be adding two new “Frozen”-inspired attractions: a sled ride and the very popular “Frozen Ever After” that began at Epcot. Additionally, the park will be transforming their castle to feature “13 beloved Disney stories.” Nearby at the Shanghai Disney Resort, a new “Zootopia”-inspired land will offer new entertainment, shopping and dining options.

COMING TO DISNEY+(streaming Nov. 12)

High School Musical: The Series: The spin-off of the hit Disney Channel movie series will follow a group of students from East High as they work to put on their school’s musical, which is coincidentally, High School Musical.

Lady and the Tramp: Disney+ is producing a live action version of “Lady and the Tramp” starring the voices of Tessa Thompson as Rose (Lady) and Justin Theroux as Monty (Tramp). Following the trend of remaking their films, Disney will take this 1955 classic and reintroduce it to the 21st century audience.

Original projects: At the D23 Expo, more movies were announced and more trailers were released for other projects including “Noelle” starring Anna Kendrick, “The World According to Jeff Goldblum” and “Encore!”