Relay for Life a Success

Catia Sleet, Staff Writer

This past Friday, Robinson hosted the Relay For Life event that included 60 teams and 29 themed laps. The event raised money for cancer research.
The night was filled with tears and laughter. The Luminaries Ceremony touched hearts in remembrance of loved ones who were taken by the disease and the themed laps lightened the mood while celebrating survivors.

Junior Justin Fontes was the high school event chair and helped plan the event from the beginning.

“This year was different because the American Cancer Society combined the Interbay Relay and South Tampa Relay and held it at Robinson,” said Fontes.

Principal Johnny Bush spoke at the Opening Ceremony on behalf of Robinson.

“Any time Robinson can host an event like this, we are happy to do so,” said Bush. “It’s amazing that all these people in the community can get together at Robinson to fight this terrible, terrible disease.”

Schools other than Robinson, from the south Tampa area, attended and participated in field activities, bought items from various teams and sold their own.

Del Phi from Plant sold hamburgers and hotdogs, the Knights Volleyball team sold cotton candy and cake pops, and the Interact Club constructed their annual “jailhouse” which took people prisoner for a small fee. Sophomore Mary Ward was taken prisoner during the event.

“My Plant friends put me in jail and my Robinson friends bailed me out,” said Ward. “It’s part of our rivalry.”

Numerous students fundraised enough money to spend all night on the track. Sophomore Andrea Vrionis was one of them.

“It felt really good being a part of something so meaningful,” said Vrionis. “But I wish there was more food since I was there for so long.”

Relay For Life helped fund cancer research while incorporating fun activities and themed laps. Whether or not participants had personal experience with the disease, they gained a better understanding and spread awareness for the cause.