Robinson NHS raises entrance standards

The National Honor Society at Robinson is raising its acceptance standards.

Morgan Brazier, Staff Writer

Robinson’s National Honor Society (NHS) has changed their standards for getting into the club this year. In the beginning of the school year, guidance counselors and administrators agreed that Robinson’s NHS should increase its requirements.

In previous years, students had to have a 3.5 GPA, no disciplinary issues, and be a sophomore or junior. Now, students must have 10 community service hours as well.

“Many schools already had a community service requirement and we didn’t,” college and career counselor Meredith Wright said. “We wanted our students involved in community service, not just [focused on] the GPA.”

Many students won’t be affected too much by the addition of the 10 service hours, because, for students in I.B., or those applying for Bright Futures scholarships, those hours are already required.

“It goes on [the student’s] transcript and a lot of colleges look for students to have community service hours,” Nikki Lockett, assistant principal for administration, said. “So if you essentially are going to be in the National Honor Society, that means that you have aspirations to go to college.”

The service hour requirement may discourage students from applying for the honor society, creating a possible decrease in club membership.

Students who have met the requirements will receive a letter inviting them to apply for induction into the honor society. Prospective members must fill out the application and write several essays.

“It is a prestigious club and an honor,” Jake Orlick (’18), president of NHS said. “We want to make sure that everyone who is in the club is a great member of Robinson and a highly qualified student… Overall it will hopefully make it a more engaging club and a more rewarding experience.”