School bathrooms aren’t porta poties

Photo J. Whitaker

Trash cans are just one of the many dirty things in the bathroom.

Anna Woodward, Staff Writer

I can say with confidence that almost everyone at Robinson has gone to the bathroom, seen an insanely long line, sighed and, much to their dismay, waited because they had to. As a person who doesn’t really like to use the school bathrooms unless I have to, it’s simply annoying to go and have to wait an unnecessary amount of time for something that will take a minute. What is even more annoying is the fact that the reason I and many others have to wait is because of simple issues that can easily be solved.

It’s not my problem whether or not you’re going to class, but don’t waste your time in a stall when you could just be sitting against the wall or something. You’re only making it take longer for people to do what they need to do and besides, being in a small space with barely anywhere to sit for a whole period must get uncomfortable.

It’s difficult enough trying to find a bathroom open without walking across campus after a few were closed due to vaping, so if you’re going to vape in the bathroom, please don’t cram multiple people into a stall when there is obviously a line. After being one of the biggest reasons for longer lines, the least you can do for people is let them use a stall.

Another reason for the insanely long lines is just people wasting time. I’ve seen at least three people all hang out in a stall before for no reason and it’s just annoying. There’s no reason for multiple people to all go into the stall together, what are you doing, peeing together? It’s something that should take at most, maybe two minutes. I’m tired of going to the bathroom, seeing a line of multiple people and only one stall virtually open because the other two are mysteriously occupied for an unnecessary amount of time.

Yes, it is a custodian’s job to help keep a school clean, but they shouldn’t be the ones that have to do simple things like flushing. I can’t even begin to imagine what they already have to deal with, so the least you can do is clean up after yourself. I think I can speak for the majority of the school when I say that it’s disgusting to go into the bathroom and only have one stall available due to reasons I’d rather not explicitly say. I don’t understand why you wouldn’t do it? I takes like two seconds? And while yes, whoever is going into the stall next can flush it for you, but here’s the thing: they shouldn’t have to. Once again, clean up after yourself.

Even though they’re not the ones that we may use everyday or in our homes, it’s still important to take into consideration keeping the bathrooms at school clean and making it as easy as possible for people to just get in quickly and leave. I can guarantee that just putting in a little bit more thought during your next trip to the bathroom will be easier than you think.