The student news site of Robinson High School

Knight Writers

• Feb. 16 is a Non-Student Day
  • Spring Break is Mar. 11-15.

Knight Writers

Knight Writers

Lakeem Johnson (24) running the relay on Senior Night.
Sports
New Record is Scored and Best is Set All At States
Jordan De La Cruz, Sports Editor • June 3, 2024
Cover of Billie Eilishs fourth album, Hit Me Hard and Soft.
"Hit Me Hard and Soft" Hit Me Like a Bus
Yesenia Rosario, Co-Editor-in-Chief • May 23, 2024
Varsity Flag Football team celebrating after winning the States Championship.
Knights Skew Jaguar Meat During States Game
Jordan De La Cruz, Incoming Sports Writer • May 20, 2024
Darius Walsh (24) riding on his friends shoulders clutching his yearbook during the senior clap-out.
So Long Seniors
Ashlyn Miller, Co Editor-In-Chief • May 20, 2024

AP Exams Belong in the Digital Age

If the online option is available, why not use it?
Photo Courtesy of College Board
College Boards’ launch of their new online exams.

It’s down to your last minutes of your AP exam, your hands are sweaty, cramping up and your handwriting is turning into an illegible scribble. You’re desperately craning your neck to catch a glimpse of the tiny clock in the center of the testing room, when you hear your proctor announce the dreaded words, “times up, pencils down.”

Having our AP exams online could solve all those problems and more. This year the College Board launched their online versions of many of their AP exams, and Robinson collectively decided to stick to the paper option. Expecting to take my AP exams online, I was filled with disappointment upon finding out about the decision to stick to the paper option.

This year, my mandatory AP exams combined have three FRQS, three SAQS, a DBQ, an LEQ and three different essays. That equates to a large portion of writing that could be much more efficient and practical on a computer. Majority of students, including me, have issues with writing for a long time continuously without their hand cramping up and the quality of their handwriting decreasing.

If the exams were online, legibility would be not an issue creating a relief for the AP graders. Online exams are faster to grade and ensure that student gets all the possible points earned. Graders also have the opportunity to provide real-time feedback on the exams and provide much further justification of the score.

“One more important aspect of the AP Digital Exam is the potential for real-time feedback. Unlike traditional exams, where students need to sit for weeks for results, the digital design takes into consideration the possibility of instantaneous scoring,” said Turito, a blog about the digital AP exam.

In addition, the online included clock is just another benefit of online testing that ensures students have the best chance at doing well. With the usual limited timing of one to two minutes per question, time management is essential and one of the biggest challenges for students is allotting time correctly. The online clock prevents that dreaded moment when the proctor calls the ten-minute left call, and you realize you’re not going to finish.

However, digital testing does not only support students but is also more environmentally friendly. The digital exam reduces paper usage significantly and reduces waste from kids who don’t attend their exams but still have a booklet made. 

Online AP exams are more efficient, practical, environmentally friendly and accessible to all. Due to our constantly evolving society, online exams are going to happen eventually. I just hope Robinson decides to include online AP exams for the 2025 school year to benefit us all.