The student news site of Robinson High School

Knight Writers

• Feb. 16 is a Non-Student Day
  • Spring Break is Mar. 11-15.

Knight Writers

Knight Writers

Casa Azuls classic churros.
A&E
Casa Azul a Sugar-Coated Fiesta
Whittaley Bowden, Senior Staff Writer • April 26, 2024
POLL

Does Taylor Swift deserve the hype?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

MidKnight Snacks: Chocolate Chip Cookie Cinnamon Rolls

The perfect warm treat to prepare for fall.
Enjoy+some+yummy+chocolate+chip+cookie+cinnamon+rolls+on+a+perfect+fall+day.+
Photo Grace Shafer
Enjoy some yummy chocolate chip cookie cinnamon rolls on a perfect fall day.

With fall approaching, this mixture of the classic chocolate chip cookie and cinnamon roll would make for the perfect autumnal treat. You can live out your “Gilmore Girls” dream by lighting some pumpkin-scented candles and listening to your favorite fall playlist while baking this delicious treat.

The baking process is fit for any level of baker and is a lot of fun to make with family or friends. This was my first time making this recipe, but now I know it’s going to become a staple in my house.

Ingredients:

The Roll

• 1 biscuit dough can (or from scratch if you prefer)
  • 1 packaged chocolate chip dough (or scratch)

Filling

• 2/3 cup light/dark brown sugar
  • 2 Tbsp unsalted butter (softened)
  • 1.5 tsp cinnamon

Icing

• 1/4 cup (or 4 Tbsp) unsalted butter
  • 2 cups confectioner’s (powdered) sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 2-3 Tbsp milk
  • pinch of salt

Directions:

The Roll

1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
  2. Bring out your cutting board and lightly sprinkle flour on the surface along with your rolling pin. Place the biscuit dough on the board and begin to roll flat until you achieve a roughly rectangle shape. Set aside.
  3. For the filling, grab a medium-sized bowl. Mix the brown sugar, butter and cinnamon until fully blended. Spread this mixture evenly over the biscuit dough.
  4. Using another cutting board, repeat the same flouring process as described in step two. Roll out cookie dough.
  5. Flip cookie dough onto biscuit dough. This can be done by applying pressure onto the top cutting board until the dough falls on top or using a scooping tool large enough to transfer the cookie dough over to the biscuit dough.
  6. Utilize a pizza cutter to slice the stacked dough into four equally proportioned slices. Carefully roll each slice until you reach a perfect spiral shape.
  7. Grease a 9×9 inch round baking pan and place the four rolls in. Separate them slightly to give them room to expand. Bake for 35-40 minutes. During this time, begin to assemble your icing.

Icing

1. Mix butter, sugar, vanilla extract, milk, and salt until the mixture is completely smooth and void of clumps.
  2. Begin to pour about 1/3 of the icing over the rolls and put them back in the oven for another 5-10 minutes.
  3. When your rolls are golden brown around the edges, take them out of the oven. Immediately spoon the rest of your icing over the rolls while they’re warm. Let cool for 10 minutes and enjoy.

The only problem I ran into with this recipe was the baking time. I found this recipe on Instagram with only a video tutorial so I knew I was bound to run into some trial and error. Due to the differing bake times and consistencies of the dough, finding the perfect time was difficult. Cookies usually only take eight to 10 minutes to bake while cinnamon rolls can take up to 40-50 minutes, so not the best combo to say the least.

If you attempt this recipe just make sure you are extremely vigilant of its baking process in the oven. I had to stay in the kitchen practically the whole time and check on it frequently. I’d say I started to get worried when it had been an hour and both doughs were still soupy.

Partially the cause of this was the amount of butter I used in the filling, as I used almost five tbsp in the original recipe. Just make sure you watch this measurement. If it’s still soupy after the amount of time mentioned in the recipe, apply more heat.

Baking is all about mistakes and experimentation though, so I’m not too upset. The fact that it was so yummy added to my satisfaction.