Review: Invader Zim: Enter the Florpus is a nostalgic hit

The official poster for the movie, available on Netflix

Meena Vasquez, Staff Writer

Netflix has been releasing new movies, seasons and tv shows as per usual. Recently though, Nostalgic cartoons made a return to the streaming service like Rocko’s Modern Life, and my personal favorite, Invader Zim.

Invader Zim made a return after a decade of silence from the series. Invader Zim: Enter the Florpus was announced at San Diego Comic Con 2018, with a trailer and everything. The first episode of Invader Zim originally aired on Nickelodeon on March 30, 2001.

The show was created and directed by comic book artist and cartoonist Jhonen Vasquez. He wanted a new show for an older audience, and Nickelodeon accepted the idea. The show’s protagonist is an alien named Zim, who’s sent to the earth by his leaders called “The Tallest” to conquer the Earth. He disguises himself as a human to blend in as well.

The antagonist of the series is a 12 year old paranormal investigator, Dib. He lives with his famous scientist father, Professor Membrane and his goth sister, Gaz. Dib and Zim live in the same neighborhood and attend the same school, as well.

Most of the episodes’ plot is revolved around Zim trying to conquer the Earth and Dib trying to stop him and make the rest of the people in his town be aware Zim isn’t human. But, in the end Zim’s plans always fail and Dib never makes anyone aware Zim is an alien.

Invader Zim: Enter the Florpus feels like another episode of the original TV show but longer.The movie kept all the lovable parts the show had. While the art style was more modernized, it still retained the sharp and thick outlines of the characters and exaggerated eyes. Not only that, but the characters felt like they never left from the fan’s memory of them.

The film starts out with Dib waiting for Zim to show up on his cameras, who’s been in his room for over a decade. Zim eventually shows up, but Dib cannot stop him because hes physically unable to get from his chair.

It then continues like another episode from the original series. Zim goes through a brief description of another attempt to take over the Earth while Dib gets back in shape. Next, Zim goes through with his plan, fails as per usual and Dib fails to convince everyone about who Zim truly is.

While there’s a lot of overlapping plot elements with the movie and show, the movie finally ties the loose ends the show left.

Zim’s sole purpose is to gain approval from his leaders. But, near the end of the movie, Zim’s leaders are now stuck in a black hole, unable to give an understandable answer. Which then leads Zim to assume he has approval, making him happy and giving a satisfying ending.

As for Dib, he finally felt like he proved himself to his dad, the most important person he wanted to prove Zim’s true self to to make him proud. His father saying that he’s always been proud of Dib brings sentimental moments in the movie that I really enjoyed.

While some characters such as Gaz weren’t as ”goth” as she was in the original series, I feel like the other parts of her personality are. It also reveals that, although it seemed like she disliked Dib, she cared about him deep down. The movie also depicts her warm relationship with her father as well.

All in all, I’m happy Invader Zim finally came back, and made a return. It brings back lovable memories from before, and it almost feels like I’m back in 2008. Hopefully, this will encourage more cartoons like Kids Next Door or Billy and Mandy to make a return.