Are you still watching Netflix? Disney+ is here

Disney+ makes its debut with list of included movies and shows

Kenzie Krcelic, Staff Writer

Netflix has been our go-to streaming service for years. You want to watch your favorite TV series? Watch Netflix. You want to watch popular movies? Netflix has it. You want to watch your favorite childhood movies? Watch it on Netflix… but make sure you watch before November 12.

Starting this fall, Disney-owned movies and series including Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars and National Geographic will be removed from Netflix permanently.

Disney is creating their own streaming service called ‘Disney+’ featuring over 1,000 original films with unlimited downloads. Popular movies guaranteed to be moved off Netflix include Moana, Incredibles 2, Avengers: Infinity War and Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi.

Disney+ will feature not just spin-offs of old Disney shows and movies, but also original works. The popular movie Love, Simon is being redone into its own TV series set in the movie universe, centered around Michael Cimino’s main character, Victor. Many more originals such as High School Musical: The Musical: The Series and Lizzie McQuire will be featured on Disney+.

One would expect the price for this new, highly-anticipated streaming service to be expensive, but it’s quite the opposite. Disney+ goes for one solid price of $6.99 a month and $70 a year.

CNBC comments on an article published by Laughing Place Disney Newsdesk, “Disney+ is an extremely appealing option for families looking for affordable content… the aggressive underpricing of Netflix is no accident”.

After the announcement of the family-friendly streaming service, Disney’s profits exceeded a record high, reaching a market value of about $235 billion. So what does this mean for Netflix?

Many people have already cancelled their Netflix subscriptions. Netflix stock has already dropped significantly by 5% and their market value has plummeted as much as $8 billion shortly after the announcement of Disney+ according to an article published by TIME Magazine.

Although Netflix will still have dozens of great movies continuing to stream, Disney originals will be missed. The days of being able to scroll through Netflix and stumbling upon an old nostalgic Disney movie is over.