The “Simpletons” Hideout

RHS students take a survey on how they would rank their school’s bathrooms.

Photo Ashlyn Miller

The sinks ripped from the wall in the men’s stadium bathroom.

Ashlyn Miller, Staff Writer

With only one week left of the school year, the entire student body has had enough of the construction and our cardboard school. The most challenging part of this year in regard to our buildings has been the bathrooms. Finding a functional bathroom that locks, toilet paper, soap and paper towels is a blessing. From a pool of 60 participants, the Knight Writers Staff have collected data on which bathrooms RHS students deem to be the best and worst at the R.

5. Stadium bathrooms 

For the absolute worst bathroom, there was a close four-way split. With 33.3%, the stadium bathroom was voted as the worst. In the women’s room, there is a missing door that moves from the floor, to propped up against a wall and then totally gone. The toilet seats are also all loose and there are plenty of six-legged, spider friends to keep you company.

“It’s a gross environment and it’s always chaotic when I go,” Hailey Irvan (’25) said.

4. “Second” portable bathrooms

With a large lead, the second portable bathroom was voted as the fourth-place slot. As the portables are temporary, many students do not see an issue in tearing apart these bathrooms, causing them to only occasionally be functional and clean.

“I picked the portable bathrooms because they are closed down currently and it is the messiest bathroom,” Kaleigh Martin (’25) said.

3. “First” portable bathrooms

Many students agreed that both of the portable bathrooms should be on the lower half of the list, but that one was significantly the better option of the two.

“The first portable is one of the worst because a lot of girls go in there to skip and there is never any toilet paper. Most of the stalls don’t even have locks,” Layla Whitmire (’23) said.

2. Science hallway bathrooms

The science hallway bathrooms were voted as the second best at Robinson with a mere 28.3%. While many said these bathrooms are small, they are in a convenient spot and have toilet paper most of the time.

“The only reason this isn’t the best bathroom is that they almost always have an atrocious smell coming off of them,” Blake Khale (’24) said.

1. Language building bathrooms

Based on the data collected, it seems students see all bathrooms as equally bad.  However, there is one clear outlier to this assumption. With a whopping 73.3%, the Language building was voted as the best.

“Language hallway is just goated, all the people know it is. [It is the] cleanest and least cramped bathroom,” Coleton Rone (’25) said.

I leave you with one thought, my chemistry teacher told me that if our school was considered a job site for students, we could sue. The state of our bathrooms would be considered an Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) violation. This feels like a very fixable problem that is being overlooked and blamed on the student body, despite it 99% of us not being at fault.