Book swap to be held during lunches Jan.12-13

Once they have turned in books of their own, students can pick out new ones to take home during lunch on Jan. 12 and 13.

Isabel Giovannetti, RHStoday Editor-in-Chief

During all lunches on Jan. 12 and 13, students can participate in a charity books swap. Organized by Lilian Waller (’17), the book swap will take place in the courtyard during A, B, and C Lunch. Extra items from the swap will be donated to the Metropolitan Ministries’ Patricia J. Sullivan Elementary School, Hospice, The Spring, and the James A. Haley Veterans’ Hospital.

“Students can bring in as many books as they want, we don’t care what kind of book it is,” said Lee Gibbons, media specialist. “We’ll take them.”

This will be Robinson’s third book swap, with one more expected in the spring. Last year’s swaps resulted in over 500 donations, the record for a single donor being 126 books.

“Every one of those kids at Metropolitan Ministries’ Elementary School got to take home a book that was donated here,” said Gibbons.

Waller chose the book swap as part of the completion for Girl Scouts Gold Award, as it suited her own interests.

“I picked this for my Gold Award because I’m really passionate about reading and books and getting other people involved,” Waller said.

Gibbons agrees that the book swaps will encourage reading in addition to giving to charity.

“This is a creative way for students to get books that are new to them for free, because other people are bringing in their books that they, maybe, read and loved but don’t want to read anymore,” Gibbons said. “So why not take advantage of it?”