Latin places eighth at state forum

Photo M. McLaughlin

Margaret Hicks (’18), Corey Hendricks (’18), Macy McClintock (’19), Amelia Hicks (’18), Emily Kemp (’20) pose for a photo before the spirit competition.

Sarah Jennewein, Staff Writer

This past weekend, the Latin Club attended the Florida Junior Classical League State Latin Forum in Orlando, placing eighth overall. During the Forum, students took academic tests, submitted creative projects, played “ludi” games,and participated in “olympica” athletic competitions. This is the third time that the Robinson Latin Club has won eighth overall, a tie for the highest the club has placed thus far.

“Generally speaking, I was happy with the results,” Latin teacher and Robinson Latin club sponsor James Buchanan said. “I was most surprised we finished as well as we did, especially academically.”

Next year, Buchanan has high hopes for the club. Sophomore Macy McClintock and junior Margaret Hicks both had standout performances, scoring the highest for the club this year, and plan to return next year.

This is the seventh year Buchanan has attended the forum, and Buchanan recognizes that the event is about more than simply scores for his students.

“We had fun, it’s great for camaraderie,and to know your intellectual skills are not completely unrecognized is very important.”