Theater troupe performing to spread AIDS awareness

Kenzie and Macey Hatton, Staff Writers

Robinson’s theater troupe will come together with ten other troupes in the district to perform in D9 in order to spread awareness for AIDS.

Admission is five dollars, and performers have to pay as well because all the donations are going to Broadway Cares to help with the disease. Broadway Cares is an organization of people in theatre and performers that help promote AIDS awareness.

“It’s an annual event where all the other thespian troupes in the district put on a show,” Maureen Pelamati, Robinson’s theater director, said. “We love going to this event.”

One song that they will be performing is “Tango Maureen” from Rent. “I’m looking forward to it,” Dylan Jones (’18) said. “It’s going to be a good show.”

The troupe is performing two songs from Rent at the concert, which they have already been practicing because they are performing Rent for their spring musical.

“I think it was great timing,” theatre member Jermaine Stephens (’18) said. “We already had some great pieces.”

Rent deals with the AIDS epidemic of the 80’s, which affected and took the lives of a lot of performers.

“This time we aren’t competing against each other,” Pelamati said. “We’re all united in the same cause to raise money for AIDS treatment and awareness.”

The show will be held at Blake High school on Friday, Feb. 2, and will begin at 7 p.m.