Preview: An Eventful Evening with RHS Troupe 2660

Robinson’s theatre program hosts their annual spring one-acts show.

Robinsons+Thespian+Troupe+2660+practices+for+upcoming+shows+during+the+fall.+

Photo Shayla McIntyre

Robinson’s Thespian Troupe 2660 practices for upcoming shows during the fall.

Cecilia Cheng, A&E Editor

As we say goodbye to the old auditorium and enter the final stages of the school year, Robinson’s Thespian Troupe 2660 finishes the 2022-2023 school year with one last show. An Evening of One-Acts will be held on Wednesday, March 29 and Thursday, March 30 at 7 p.m. in the Robinson auditorium.

“I love this show. It’s funny. It’s historical. It’s relatable. I actually decided on this show in Dec., just before I broke up with my boyfriend of eight years. There were some troupe breakups going on at the same time, so it seemed like a good fit,” Theatre Director Maureen Pelamati said.

The show features two acts: “The 9 Worst Breakups of All Time” and “21 Chump Street.”

1. “The 9 Worst Breakups of All Time” by Ian McWethy takes you on a comedic ride with a young heartbroken girl named Katie. As the title suggests, Katie had recently gone through a breakup but realizes throughout the act that it’s not that bad after all.
  2. “21 Chump Street” by Lin Manuel Miranda is a short musical about Justin, a high schooler who falls in love with Naomi, who turns out to be an undercover cop.

“9 Worst Breakups was a show that the troupe did years ago before I was even at Robinson, and when we were trying to find a one-act for the spring show, our director Ms. P thought it would be interesting to see the show with an all-new cast,” Troupe President Ava LeClair (’23) said. “21 Chump was our competition piece at the District 9 one-act competition back in December and we really wanted to be able to perform it outside of competing.”

Putting on a show undoubtedly comes with its challenges. With much elaborative planning and many rehearsal sessions, the thespians are ready to show everyone what they’ve been working so hard on this spring.

“We lost a few weeks of rehearsal since it [the auditorium] closes for renovations in a few days. That’s another reason why I chose this show. It’s an easy piece to stage, with minimal sets. The frame narrative makes for short scenes, which are easier for the actors. It’s been tough dealing with moving around and packing up,” Pelamati said.

Not only is the show versatile and entertaining, one-act serves as many seniors’ farewell to the Robinson theatre program.

“I think watching and enjoying a show can open a lot of eyes to just how incredible this art is,” Leclair said. “Also, as a senior, it would truly mean a lot to me and so many of my fellow seniors in the theatre troupe to go out with a bang and have an awesome last show.”

With cash only, RHS students and faculty members can buy their presale ticket for $5 from any Troupe 2660 member or from Pelamati in Portable 18. Tickets will also be sold at the door to general admission for $10.

“It’s just a fun time where you get to watch live entertainment while supporting the arts and see your friends perform. There are two shows in one night, so you get a variety and all in all, I think it will just be very cool to come and see,” Traditional Vice President of the Troupe, Jayden Fernandez (’23) said.