When did GATI vanish?

The Great American Teach-In has never been more important, so why don’t we have it anymore?

Jaylen Stasio, Staff Writer

Editors Note: We are aware there were speakers for the Great American Teach-in this year, a RHSToday Staff Writer was assigned to cover the event however, they were not allowed to leave their class to attend the event. We apologize for the lapse in coverage but we would like to point out that many students, including the writer of this opinion, were not allowed by their teachers to go to the event.

As a kid, I always looked forward to the Great American Teach-In and the different professions that came and presented. Now, fast-forward to high school, only a few teachers actually invite people in.

You would think that it’s more logical to have a career day in high school because we’re at the age where we need to start looking at what we want to do for our future job. Instead, we don’t even get a full day of learning about the different jobs some people possess.

I mainly blame the teachers. They can’t sacrifice one day of teaching to hear about different jobs. As a young adult, I only have a vague idea of what I want to be when I grow up. GATI is a way to learn about different jobs, and we’re being deprived of it.

I understand how it can be a hassle for teachers to invite people in, but in reality, this is our future that is at stake. Who knows, somebody could come in and present the dream job I never knew I wanted.

It’s always so intriguing to listen to what people do for a living, even if it is a “boring” job, you get to see what you might be interested in.

I believe that more professions should be invited to GATI because as students begin looking into college, we need to figure out the job we want in order to be successful when we are older. When determining jobs, we determine how long we spend at college, the salary we make and how we plan our future.

A big part of finding the job we want is the amount of money it pays per year. How are we supposed to figure out the salary and basics of our job if there is no teach-in?

As a student, I want GATI to be revived so that I can get a better idea of the jobs that are out there for me and figure out what I want to do with my future.