Varsity Flag Football team celebrating after winning the States Championship.
Sports
Knights Skew Jaguar Meat During States Game
Jordan De La Cruz, Incoming Sports Writer • May 20, 2024
Darius Walsh (24) riding on his friends shoulders clutching his yearbook during the senior clap-out.
So Long Seniors
Ashlyn Miller, Co Editor-In-Chief • May 20, 2024
The album cover of the Current Joys Love + Pop Part 2.
It's time to Part Ways with "LOVE + POP Pt. 2"

Together the Lady Knights Blocked Out Cancer

Alexandra and Lauren Peterson played in honor of their English teacher Barbara Verde.

On Sept. 24, the Robinson volleyball team hosted their second annual Dig Pink match against Sickles. All players wore pink jerseys, socks, ribbons, and decorated the gym with bright pink banners, balloons and posters. More importantly, each player gave a pink rose to a person in their life that had been or is being affected by cancer.

“We didn’t just play for Robinson, we played for people everywhere suffering with cancer,” said senior captain, Kylee Gorngpratum. “It was touching to our hearts.”

The Lady Knights volleyball team did multiple fundraising events and activities for this special match. Each player sold twenty-five pins shaped like ribbons to friends and family at a cost of two dollars each. Anyone who bought and wore a pin received a coupon for a free Big Mac at McDonald’s when they walked in the doors. The team’s goal was to raise $1,500 towards Breast Cancer research. Most of this money was made through donations on the Side Out Foundation website. They reached $1,100 dollars before the varsity match even started.

The match was competitive for both JV and Varsity.

“I think the varsity game went well, but the JV games could’ve been played better,” said Emma Duffey (’17). The JV team lost in two sets and varsity won in four, making it the second consecutive year beating Sickles.

This match was more than just a game. Many players on the team have been affected by cancer through friends and family members.

“My great aunt passed away from breast cancer,” said senior middle blocker, Lauren Wheatley. Robinson volleyball was proud to host such an important event and honor all the survivors.

Robinson’s next match is home on Sept. 26 versus Spoto. Junior varsity plays at 6:15 and varsity plays at 7:30.