Spring Sports Update: 4/4-4/8

Photo Isabel Hanewicz

With a tight grip on the ball, Tatum Brookes (’16) intercepts a Plant ball with less than two minutes left in the fourth quarter. The Knights beat Plant 19-13.

Bailey Adams, Sports Editor

Baseball

Robinson (14-7) couldn’t overcome an early deficit on Tuesday night, losing 11-4 at Jesuit. The Tigers scored 11 runs in the first two innings before Riley Shackowsky (’17) took the mound to throw four shutout innings while allowing just one hit and one walk. The team bounced back on Thursday night against Hillsborough, beating the Terriers 4-3 in 10 innings on senior night. Mitchell Tozian (’16) drove in two runs and Joey Scionti (’17) won it for the Knights in the bottom of the 10th with a sacrifice fly.

Softball

The Lady Knights finished up the regular season on Thursday against Hillsborough with a 16-0 win in five innings. They finished the regular season with a record of 14-9 and will now prepare for the district tournament, which gets underway on Monday at Jefferson High School (4401 W Cypress St, Tampa, FL 33607). Robinson’s first game of the tournament is Tuesday at 4 p.m.

Girls Lacrosse

The Lady Knights’ season came to an end on Tuesday night with a 7-6 loss to Tampa Catholic in the district semifinals. After falling behind 6-0, they cut the deficit to 6-4 before allowing another goal. They managed to find the back of the net two more times, but it wasn’t enough to advance to Thursday’s district final. The team ended the season with an overall record of 10-5.

Boys Tennis

The Knights saw their season end on Tuesday at Lake Wales as they fell 4-1 in the regional semifinals.

Girls Tennis

Robinson picked up a 5-0 win over Hardee in Tuesday’s regional semifinals to earn a spot in Thursday’s regional final. School history was made on Thursday as the team beat Academy of the Holy Names by a score of 4-3, advancing to states for the first time ever. Robinson, needing to win both doubles matches to advance, got a win in no. 2 doubles from Alex Rice (’16) and Bianca Dyer (’16) before Ashley Osiason (’18) and Elliott Peterson (’19) picked up the regional title-clinching win in no. 1 doubles. The state quarterfinals are set for Monday morning at Red Bug Lake Park (3600 Red Bug Lake Rd, Casselberry, FL 32707). The full schedule for states can be seen here.

Boys Track

At press time, results were not available from the team’s meet against King, Jesuit, Tampa Catholic and Hillsborough at Jesuit Tuesday. The team travels to Steinbrenner Saturday for the last regular season meet before heading to Gaither next Wednesday for the district meet.

Girls Track

At press time, results were not available from the team’s meet against King, Academy of the Holy Names, Tampa Catholic and Hillsborough at Jesuit Tuesday. The team travels to Steinbrenner Saturday for the last regular season meet before heading to Gaither next Wednesday for the district meet.

Flag Football

The Knights picked up two more wins to improve to 9-1 on the season.  They first came away with a 19-13 win on Monday over rival Plant, beating the Panthers for the 13th straight time. After trailing 13-0, Plant came back to tie the score before a late touchdown from Kayla Knowlton (’16) to Megan Bohan (’16) gave the Knights a win. They finished the week with a 60-0 win on Thursday night against Chamberlain.