Knights break 11-year losing tradition to Jesuit

Photo Courtesy Andrew McMillan ('18)

The Knights pose for a team picture after their 5-2 victory over Jesuit.

Cilicia Anderson, Opinion Editor

The Knights (10-6) took a 5-2 win in a ten-inning game against Jesuit (12-6) on Wednesday, April 11, after the rescheduling due to weather concerns on Tuesday.

After a slow moving game, the Knights were able to pull out the win against their district rival for the first time since 2007.

And after their 5-4 loss to the Tigers on March 21, the Knights were able to enjoy their victory a little more.

“We’ve played them tough over the last…years,” head coach Kevin McCray said. “We’ve had multiple opportunities, very close games. It’s just very tough to get past all facets of their game.”

But the Knights were able to do it.

With bases loaded, catcher Evan Watts (‘18) hit a hard ground ball towards the Tigers’ shortstop, who was able to tag second, getting the runner out, but overthrew first base, missing the double play. The overthrow hit Watts’ foot and was booted into right field, allowing the Knights to score three runs in the tenth and final inning.

“I just knew going up there that I wanted to put the ball in play and make them get me out,” Watts said. “…Just put it in play and make them make the play, and I guess it worked out. We got to push a couple across the plate.”

But it wasn’t as clear-cut as it sounds.

“I was torn because I was really close to having [Watts] squeeze bunt to drive in a run,” McCray said. “But… one run might not be enough. So, I decided to let him swing the bat.”

The Knights were able to score early on in the game with Andrew McMillan (’18) bringing in the first run after an impressive hit by Jack Castro (’20). Starting pitcher Jake Granese (’18) didn’t give the Tigers an easy opportunity to score until they tied the game 2-2 in the second inning.

The game remained tied until the tenth inning.

“We cut down errors, we got hits– we got hits when we needed them,” center fielder Chase Volpi (’18) said. “It was overall a very productive night for our team and very beneficial to our season and shows us what we can do against a team that we haven’t beaten since 2007.”

The Knights are now tied with Jesuit at number one in their district. Jesuit is scheduled to face Jefferson (11-5) tonight, April 12, and a potential loss could give the Knights the number one seed.

“It’s an amazing feeling [beating Jesuit],” Volpi said. “One of my goals is to beat Jesuit and Plant. I didn’t beat Plant, but I beat Jesuit so it’s an amazing feeling and it’s something crossed off my bucket list that I’ll get to keep for the rest of my life.”

The Knights will face Blake High School (1-14) tonight, April 12, at home (6311 S. Lois Ave., 33616).