Large scale testing comes to a small scale school

The+National+Assessment+of+Educational+Progress%2C+or+NAEP%2C+is+a+national+exam+that+helps+to+assess+American+Education.+

The National Assessment of Educational Progress, or NAEP, is a national exam that helps to assess American Education.

Hayle Short, Managing Editor

Last week, 50 seniors at Robinson participated in the National Assessment of Education Progress test, also known as NAEP, in order to help determine how the American education system compares with those in other countries.

Essentially, the data from the NAEP contributes to building America’s profile on Education. But it also contributes to how the country approaches education as it a whole.

“We are trying to compete internationally,”  Assistant Principal for Curriculum Jennifer Rosage said. “And this test provides us [with] a lot of the data of what direction we need to go.

The test, taken by students on Feb. 7, featured several subjects randomly distributed to students. Some students took either math or science, while others took reading.

“It gave us a couple of passages and we answered questions about that passage,” Alain Toranzo (’18), a student who took the reading portion said. “It was like FAIR testing sort of.”

However, while this may seem like a wonderful opportunity for Robinson, many did not want to participate.

“I didn’t apply for it,” Adam Finley (’18) said. “I didn’t really want to do it, that’s just my opinion.”

While this is another standardized test given to students in America, the fact that Robinson participated in the NAEP test signals the school’s growth as a whole.

“This is the first time that Robinson has had NAEP in many, many years. I don’t know if they’ve ever had it. I know when I worked at Chamberlain, we had it every year,” Rosage said. “I think they look for a certain demographic of schools that give them a large cross section. I think we were so small for a point that we weren’t selected for that cross section.”