Review: Hey Giant Little Biscuits

Hey Giant Little Biscuits is impressive but not astounding, yet the atmosphere really gave it life

Photo Morgan Brazier

Hey Giant’s Seminole Heights location.

Morgan Brazier, Managing Editor

Hey Giant Little Biscuits is one of South Tampa’s newest editions to an array of funky food shops. The original, however, has been open in Seminole Heights for two years.

I visited Hey Giant early Sunday afternoon and was impressed with the quaint little shop’s style and quality. The storefront invites patrons in with a vintage looking sign and bright blue doors. The shop continues through the building with simplistic and cute decorations and leads out to a sunny courtyard, perfect for enjoying some morning biscuits and coffee. The courtyard had a calm, ethereal vibe complete with weathered wooden benches and a stone fountain overflowing with plants.

I ordered two buttermilk biscuits, one with blueberry jam and one with strawberry, and two of their cinnamon biscuits. I won’t say that I was blown away by these biscuits. They weren’t anything special, but paired with the jam they were definitely worth the price.

However, the jam was exceptionally good. All the jam was homemade and had just the right amount of sweetness mixed with the fruity flavors that complimented the biscuits perfectly.

The cinnamon biscuits were also good but not incredible. They tasted more like cinnamon rolls than biscuits. This wasn’t bad, just not exactly what I was expecting. I would definitely say that the buttermilk biscuits with jam were better than the cinnamon biscuits but I think that’s probably more dependent on what you’re in the mood for.

But what really impressed me about Hey Giant wasn’t the food or the atmosphere. The store is actually much more than just a biscuit shop. Hey Giant is also an academic enrichment program which aims to “bring together community and creativity”, a unique attribute of an otherwise normal store.

Their learning programs include creative workshops and homework help sessions available in the afternoons to students. The owners of Hey Giant are able to keep this educational program free to students thanks to money made from the biscuit shop.

Overall, my experience at Hey Giant definitely made me eager for a second visit. I was impressed to learn that this neat little shop does something more than just food.

If YOU GO:

Address6607 N Florida Ave, Tampa, FL 33604

3201 S. Dale Mabry Hwy. Tampa, Fl 33606

(There are two locations, one in South Tampa and one in Seminole Heights)

Hours: Wednesday – Friday  7:00 A.M.- 2:00 P.M.

Saturday – Sunday 8:00 A.M.- 2:00 P.M.

Website: http://heygiant.com/biscuithouse/