Starlets pose on the stage at states.
Sports
Starlets Shine Bright at States
Anika Sanka, Staff Writer • April 29, 2024
Brady Capps (25) warming up as he prepares to catch the ball.
Capps Keeps His Eye on the Ball
Sofia Scott, Staff Writer • April 29, 2024
Casa Azuls classic churros.
Casa Azul a Sugar-Coated Fiesta
Whittaley Bowden, Senior Staff Writer • April 26, 2024

Kali Uchis Blooms Like a Flower on “Orquideas”

The Columbian American Singer continues to break the barrier between Latin and American music with her new album
Photo insideexpress.com
A Promotional Picture for “Orquídeas.”

Kali Uchis is a Latin R&B and neo-soul artist well known for her collaborations with artists such as Tyler the Creator and Steve Lacy. On social media she recently announced the coming of a “new era” following the release of “Red Moon Venus,” her last album. Fans eagerly anticipated her new album, wondering if it would build off of the cosmic and hazy vibes of her last or explore new sounds. On Jan. 12, she released “Orquídeas,” a mix of reggaeton, meringue and icy R&B featuring Latin artists such as Karol G, Peso Pluma, Rauw Alejandro, El Alfa and JT.

Uchis originally became popular for her American pop songs, but lost support from her record label when she began releasing predominantly Spanish albums. However, loyal fans persisted, leading her to become the first Latina artist to receive 1 billion streams on Spotify. Since this feat, she’s released all of her albums in Spanish without disruption.

“Orquídeas” opens with “¿Cómo Así?,” a fast-paced yet graceful testament to her own beauty. She alternates between English and Spanish with lines like “If you come around here, you’ll never wanna leave,” and “No hay que hablar (No hay que hablar), Encaprichado estás.” It’s catchy and inviting, which is the perfect way to begin an album.

A personal favorite track of mine is “Igual Que Un Ángel” featuring Peso Pluma which quickly gained popularity on social media.  It’s a smooth pop ode to women and femininity, with one of the catchiest choruses I’ve ever heard. The unforgettable pictures that she creates with her voice and beats are what make her songs unforgettable, regardless of whether listeners speak Spanish or not.

While some tracks are smooth and calm like “Tu Corazón Es Mío…” and “Perdiste,” others like “Muñekita” are more upbeat and friskier. She, along with rappers El Alfa and JT float along a pulsing, pace-shifting beat with sassy lyrics about beauty and confidence. This is the perfect song to dance to and has easily become a staple in my playlist.

Throughout “Orquídeas,” Uchis proved once again that she is the queen of creating musical aesthetics and beautiful visuals. As she explores different sounds and ranges, she’s steadily been redefining how Latinas are viewed and credited in the music industry.