Phyllis Patterson Returns Home

Phyllis Patterson sets goals for her and her students for her new life at Robinson.

Patterson+sitting+during+her+free+period.+

Photo Yesenia Rosario

Patterson sitting during her free period.

Yesenia Rosario, Staff Writer

Every day teachers make an impact in students’ lives whether it be through their nurturing nature or teaching habits. Robinson’s newest edition to the English Department, Phyllis Patterson, is excited this school year to bring out the best in her students and not only impact their grades, but their lives. Patterson comes to Robinson with lots of experience and is ready to teach.

Born and raised in Louisville, Ky., Patterson’s love for education and English lead her to attend the University of Louisville for her Master’s in Teaching and Project Management. Upon completion of her master’s degree, Patterson went to Western Kentucky University for her Bachelor’s in English and Spanish. She worked in education for a few years until her career was led down a road heading to Indianapolis, Ind.

Patterson pursued a line of work for Corporate America, the last place being Raymond James, in Project Management and Organizational Effectiveness, working in many companies for 15+ years until she returned to education. A family member of Patterson leads her down to Tampa for work. Patterson experienced one Tampa winter and has never been back to Louisville. She taught middle school for the 2021-22 school year, however, wanting to be in an environment where kids desired to learn, she packed her things and moved on over to RHS.

Patterson is a very passionate teacher and is excited to return to a positive teaching/learning environment.

“I really want to focus on a place where kids are wanting to learn,” Patterson said. “I’ve kind of come home to where I started.”

Patterson’s first impression pulling into Robinson was “Where’s the building?” Patterson’s excitement is through the roof every time a new wall is put up. She wasn’t expecting the construction but isn’t really bothered by it as it doesn’t seem to affect the students’ education.

Many students of Patterson believe she is on the stricter side but is overall, nice and caring. Tria Beaton (’25), a student of Patterson’s, first impression of her was heartwarming, comparing Patterson to her grandmother.

“My first impression of her was ‘I thought this was my grandma’ in a nice way…” Beaton said. “She makes us do a lot of independent work due at the end of the period.”

Another student of Pattersons, Kelis Coleman (‘25), highlights how meaningful her teaching is.

“She’s someone who’s there to help you understand and actually goes for the deeper meaning of things,” Coleman said. “ [She] helps you look at things from a different perspective.”

Outside of school Patterson enjoys gardening and plants. Patterson likes orchids the most. She spends a lot of time out in the sun enjoying nature. Patterson enjoys the fall season the most as here in Tampa there are many events to attend.

”I spend a lot of time [gardening], whatever keeps me out the longest… being out in the sun,” Patterson said. “[During] the fall season [im out] every weekend at a music fest or food fest.”

She listens to NPR and Tiny Desk Concerts, hosted by Bob Bolien, where celebrities will come and sing songs live. Her go-to Karaoke song is “We Are The Champions” by Queen.

“I am more of a word person,” Patterson said. “When my son was a teenager he turned me so against music.”

Patterson’s ready for the fall season not only for the festivals but to continue to grow with her students preparing them for the next level. She’s looking forward to what the school year will bring and experiencing life here at the R.

Patterson believes in lifelong learning and continues to strive every day to better educate herself on how to become a better teacher. Currently, she is working to receive a Reading Endorsement, an add-on credential for Florida Teachers, in addition to her ESOL and English Endorsement. She believes this will allow her to become a better teacher and support her students.

“I want them to live to their potential and kick any barriers out of the way,” Patterson said. “I meet them where they are and give them the support they need to get to the next level.”