Back to School Issue: Dave Brown is Robinson’s New Principal

Principal Dave Brown has returned to his alma mater in a more permanent role.

Photo Juno Le

Brown at the RIBLI Foundation Casino Night event in April.

Vikram Sambasivan, News & Features Editor

As the 2022-2023 school year approaches, there has been much uncertainty about not only the state of Robinson’s facilities, but also who will lead it. RHS Alumnus and Hillsborough County veteran has been installed as Robinson’s Principal after former Principal Robert Bhoolai announced that he would be leaving to join a professional development firm on May 27, 2022. 

Brown, having been Robinson’s interim Principal during the fourth quarter of the 2021-2022 school year while Bhoolai took a medical leave of absence, will help provide a sense of continuity for the student body during a tumultuous time in RHS history. Robinson students are so far pleased with Brown’s more permanent appointment based on his performance during the end of the last school year. 

“Mr. Brown did a great job during his term as interim principal; he took upon the tasks that were left to him and did a splendid job completing them,” said Ayan Nallamshetti (’25). 

Brown has been a self-proclaimed “Local Boy” throughout his life. A graduate of Robinson, Brown stayed close to his roots and followed his brother in attending the University of South Florida. After finding out that a career in economics was not what he truly wanted, Brown turned his eye toward education. 

“…[I] just met up with some education majors at USF and had some really great teachers in high school,” Brown said. “I just kind of flipped my switch and said ‘hey why don’t you go into education?’”

Seeing as Brown is no longer a new face in Hillsborough County education, his 33 years in the district and 15 as a principal will assist him in leading Robinson from a managerial point of view with respect to filling all the necessary positions for the upcoming school year, summer planning, as well as pre-planning to get school in session. 

A part of Brown’s experience in education was serving as the Supervisor of Social Studies for the county. From this position, Brown has observed classrooms across all 28 high schools in Hillsborough County and believes that he has observed many noteworthy teaching techniques; many of these involve some form of student engagement which he would like to implement at Robinson.

Outside of being an educator, Brown especially likes spending time with his family. One of his favorite vacations is heading up to his property in the Appalachian Mountains. There are very few internet and phone connections, so it just serves as a place to disconnect and “have a good time.”

As the upcoming school year approaches, Brown reflects on what it means to become a principal once again.

“…one thing I’ve missed was being with the kids and seeing their successes…knowing that I could help those kids who need the help..and being able to support [the kids who don’t need as much help], so I’m definitely excited about being back at a school site,” Brown said. 

Brown storied career has given him multitudes of experience which has taught him to value one thing above all: student engagement.

“I just want to make sure that the kids understand that this is truly their school…We want to make it what’s best for you guys. So, what are some things that you want to see happen at this school that will make it more enjoyable for you, or more memorable for you, or going to help you become a bigger part of the school? I want to make sure that the student voice is heard a lot more,” Brown said.