Apple’s Fall Keynote: iPhone 6s, iPad Pro Among Many Innovations

Photo M. Aros

iPhones are a popular phone choice for students.

Michelle Santacreu, Multimedia Editor

To all the non-Apple geeks out there: today was Apple’s September event, where they release the newest technology, updates, and products and, most importantly, they release a new iPhone. In case you didn’t watch the whole event, here are a few things even those of you clueless about Apple need to know (and yes, they released a rose gold iPhone).

Apple Watch: Nothing too exciting here, as Apple tried to build suspense for its later reveal. Apple CEO Tim Cook introduced the new features with Watch OS 2, set to come out soon. There are more third party apps available as well.

iPad Pro: This one I didn’t expect. Quick disclaimer:I’m not the biggest iPad fan ever. Yeah, they’re cool, but I have a MacBook and an iPhone, so why spend money on an iPad? However, I’ve got to say the new iPad Pro looks amazing. It is bigger than the older iPads, with a 12.9-inch display, compared to the 9.7-inch display of the iPad air Also introduced was the Apple Pencil, a stylus, and the Smart Keyboard to go with it. The iPad Mini 4 was also mentioned at the keynote today.

Apple TV: One of the most exciting releases today, in my opinion, was the Apple TV. They completely redesigned the software and gave it a new appearance. While the physical box Apple TV box may not look significantly different, what’s inside is. The remote now has Siri built in to it,which enables you to tell your TV what to do. You can tell Siri to search for a certain genre of movie, to pause the tv show, or skip to seven minutes into the show. Assuming the built-in-Siri functions well and actually understands you, it’s definitely a huge upgrade.

iPhone 6s and 6s Plus: Now this was main reason I was watching the keynote-the new iPhones. They are the same size as the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus, which follows their trend with the previous ‘s’ updates. Updates to the phone include 3D touch and an improved camera, which is again expected. It also has the capability to take 4K video and is better than 1080 dpi, which is what most HDTVs have. The iPhone 6s and 6s Plus can be ordered later in September.

As a whole, I was very impressed by the keynote, but in fairness, I like all things Apple. The new Apple TV will be interesting to see, and I definitely want to use the iPad Pro and iPhone 6s in person, especially since my phone is up for an upgrade in a month.

Until then, I’ll be the one in the back of JA reading Apple articles on my Mac.

Michelle