To Florida, Black Lives Don’t Matter

The new AP African Americans Studies course gets banned in the state.

Photo Juno Le

Protester fists in front of an outline of the state of Florida. Graphic developed on Canva.

Cecilia Cheng, A&E Editor

Editor’s note: The following story was created as an entry for the FSPA Digital Quick Turn Written Commentary contest. 

It’s that time of the year again. Students eagerly wait in the long line outside of their guidance counselor’s office with their elective sheets, ready to select their classes for the next school year. However, there is one course students in Florida won’t be seeing on these colorful papers: AP African Americans Studies.

The Florida Department of Education announced on Sunday, Jan. 22 that the proposed Advanced Placement (AP) course in African American studies will be rejected in the state.

According to College Board, the aim of the course is to provide students with a better understanding of the contributions and struggles of African Americans throughout history by studying the selected topics. Gov. Ron DeSantis emphasized the course includes subjects such as “queer theory,” which he deemed to be in violation of the “Stop WOKE” Act.

Now, this is the first AP class that any state has ever banned. But why this course?

Students have the choice to take this class. No, it’s not being implemented as a core class. It’s not a graduation requirement either. As an elective class, it’s for those who want to learn more about the topic. Personally, I think it’s a great opportunity for us to learn about a group of individuals that were critical to the formation of our nation and I would take the class if it were offered here in Florida.

Limiting such topics in the classroom also serves no purpose. We don’t live in the Stone Age. Students have access to the internet (or even libraries) and are still able to be exposed to Black feminism or intersectionality. People might argue that students who are interested in this course can just do additional research during their free time, but that’s not enough.

Representation is everything, especially for high schoolers who are just now discovering their identities and who they are. African Americans are already marginalized in this country and these students need to have a chance to learn more about their rich culture and heritage. By banning this course, Florida is basically sending them a message and telling them that they don’t matter.

Let’s not forget that classes like AP European History, World History, Latin, etc., are still being offered. Why is it that I am able to learn about narcissists like Hilter, but not about influential gay African Americans? Both are as equally important in U.S. history and I’m sure that one did more harm than the other. Shouldn’t those classes be prohibited too, since they promote “violence?”

At this point, is Florida just encouraging people to neglect and overlook African Americans? Recently, the number of hate crimes against these individuals has climbed in numbers as well. I see videos of innocent Black Americans like George Floyd and Tyre Nichols being beaten to death and it hurts. To this day, not enough attention is being given to this issue, and by outlawing such a diverse and empowering course, Florida is yet just moving back another step.