Review: Chilling Adventures of Sabrina did not leave me with chills

Don’t expect much out of season three

Nicole Perdigon, Print Managing Editor

*spoilers note: this article contains spoilers for the Chilling Adventures of Sabrina series, do not continue reading if you don’t want spoilers *

On Jan. 24, Netflix released its highly anticipated third season of Chilling Adventures of Sabrina.  With an 8 episode plotline, this season somehow managed to be dragged out longer than necessary. I was disappointed with this season and sadly, I don’t think it was up to par with the previous two.

This season follows the journey of the now small and powerless Church Of Night, a coven of witches, and their battle against a tribe of pagans who have invaded Greendale in hopes to bring the apocalypse. It also follows the struggle of the main character Sabrina Spellman in her personal battle of prioritizing power or family.

Although I didn’t love season three it did have a few charming aspects like getting to see Hilda’s and Dr. Cerberus’ relationship grow, as well as seeing Theo growing into himself more with the help of Robin.

As an avid binge-watcher, it’s safe for me to say that I’m usually not very picky when it comes to tv shows; however, this season struggled to keep my attention and had a few major issues.

One of the biggest problems I had with this season was the time distribution. The majority of the season was the build-up to the battle between the church of night and the pagans that eventually led to the “fall of flesh” when the church of night failed. The last episode of the season was the redemption episode in which, by some miracle, Sabrina came back after the apocalypse traveled back in time to before it ever happened and undid the death of everyone. The season felt so dragged out until the last episode when all the resolution of the entire season was packed into 45 minutes.

Something else that I really didn’t like was the lack of character development given to Prudence, one of the students at the academy Sabrina attends for her witch studies. Basically all of the first and second season Prudence acted as an antagonist to Sabrina and that was her major role for the show. Although Prudence wasn’t Sabrina’s antagonist this season, she was still set to be an antagonist except now it was towards her father, Fautus Blackwood. Prudence was hardly seen this season and for me, that was very disappointing. I love the spice that Prudence adds to the series but now that she’s not acting as an antagonist to Sabrina it feels like her character has less weight and was not seen enough.

One more thing I found strange and more than anything out of place was the unusual outbreaks of songs and the modern-day slang. The show is set in the 1960s and throughout this season the characters used 21-century vernacular. This felt forced and didn’t really fit well because the show has such serious tones and strong characters that it didn’t fit the conversations, the characters, or the time period. As for the songs, It felt like the producers wanted it to be a musical but weren’t dedicated enough to go through with it completely so there were just unexpected outbursts of songs that were not catchy, and didn’t match the vibe of the episodes.

If you are already invested in the characters and want to see how their development plays out then I would recommend giving it a watch but if you’re not already invested I wouldn’t waster your time on a mediocre season.