New routine pushes cheer team to nationals

The team places second at UCA Regionals

Photo Ethan Adair

Snapshots from the cheer team’s 2020-2021 competition and gameday season.

Hanna Malone, Sports Editor

Earlier this year, the Robinson High School competition cheer team received a bid and second place overall at UCA Regionals. For their gameday routine, they placed third out of thirteen competitors.

The team’s performance at Regionals qualified them for the UCA Nationals competition, which will take place from Feb. 5 to Feb. 7 of the upcoming new year at Disney’s ESPN Wide World of Sports in Orlando, FL.

This year’s routine is more strenuous and showcases the cheer team’s talent at a higher level. The routine was choreographed by a nationally renowned choreographer from Oklahoma instead of the head coach, Lexie Lowry, who has put all of the routines together in the past.

“Not only have we learned new, more difficult skills but we have also progressed and perfected what we already know.” Lowry said.

The team’s desire to grow together, as well as their individual positive mindsets are factors in their success this season.

“I truly believe that every single one of my girls has a winning attitude this year and truly wants to take our program to the next level,” the head coach said. “The better the mindset, the greater chance of skill development—skills and the ability to grow are far more important that talent, at least to me.”

COVID-19 precautions are taken at competitions to ensure the safety of all athletes, coaches, judges and spectators. For UCA Regionals, spectators were limited to the parents or guardians of athletes. The audience was required to wear face masks and socially distance and asked to leave immediately after their team performed. The team was expected to remain with their masks up until the point where they took the floor to compete. Official protocol for Nationals has not been published, though they are in the works and are expected to be similar.