Kohana Pousson Slides into ASU

Pousson commits to Alabama State University to play Division 1 Softball.

Photo Zoe Thaxton

Kohana Pousson (’23) winds up her pitch during the 2022 softball season.

Vikram Sambasivan, News & Features Editor

The beginning of the final year of high school brings two things to mind for most seniors: college and life after graduation. In her last year as part of the Robinson Softball Team, pitcher and team co-capitan, Kohana Pousson (’23) committed to Alabama State University (ASU) to play Division I softball. 

“I’m very excited,” Pousson said. “Achieving my dream felt like a weight off my shoulders…the recruitment process was a huge stressor, and I’m just excited I can continue to playing at a higher level and can’t wait to see what college holds for me!”

Pousson’s acceptance to Division I athletics has been a long time in the making. From very early on, her dedication to softball has been unwavering, with a very focused mindset of achieving her college athletics aspirations. 

“I’ve been playing softball since a very young age, and as soon as I picked up a ball, I [dreamt] of playing Division I softball,” she said. “Around the age of 13, I really started putting in work and working to become the athlete I aspired to be. Through the whole process from then to now, I faced so many discouragements that were so hard to overcome, but I never let that get in my way and I never stopped working to get what I want.”

With the competition and difficulty of high school sports, many players become discouraged and disheartened along the way, losing their love for the sport; however, the opposite is true for Pousson. 

“…I absolutely love the adrenaline rush I get from being on the mound. I love the feeling I get when I strike somebody out…or when my teammate makes an amazing play, it makes you feel like a boss,” she said. “I also love the memories and the life long friends I have made through my whole journey. I have met most of my best friends through softball.”

As Pousson embarks on her final season at Robinson, the team must look ahead and prepare for the effect that her absence will have. 

“The gap that will be left behind will be the size of the Grand Canyon…we will never fill it…but hopefully figure out a way to get around it,” Coach Ed Gallo said. 

Gallo isn’t the only one who recognizes Pousson’s large contribution to the team; she is also held in high esteem by her teammates. 

“[She] is a big influence on this team. She always knows when the right moment is to make people laugh and take softball serious. Being the pitcher and a captain is a very big part for this team and she fills that role very well,” said softball team co-capitan JC Thaxton (’23). 

As Pousson looks forward to college, she has also decided to pursue a STEM career in addition to her busy softball schedule. 

“I plan on majoring in Biology to do something with medicine in my future. I’ve been stuck between two different [things:] being an exotic veterinarian or a plastic surgeon,” Pousson said.

Standing at the cusp of a bright future, Pousson says that she will miss her high school team. 

“All the girls I played with at Robinson from [freshmen through senior] year were huge impacts on my life,” she said. “They are all such amazing people that I got to make memories with! They were definitely my biggest supporters, [and I will] forever have love for each and every one of them.”