Valentine’s Day: gifts with a twist

A student couple holds hands in the halls of Robinson.

Abigail Meyer, Staff Writer

As Valentine’s Day approaches, many Robinson students have started to look for gifts for their boyfriends, girlfriends or maybe just close friends.

Sometimes buying gifts can be challenging, so here are some tips on finding the perfect Valentine’s Day gift.

“The go-to move is always chocolates, flowers, and a teddy-bear,” Joshua Hall-Gomez (’20) said. “If it’s not someone you’ve been in a relationship with for a while, don’t spend too much money on them.”

Getting a big present may scare off your partner if you are in a fresh relationship. There’s nothing wrong with going small and simple for your first Valentine’s Day. There are plenty of cute knick-knacks out there that would make perfect gifts. A great website to find some DIY gifts without spending more than $10 would be Pinterest.

However, Valentine’s Day gifts don’t always have to be an item. You could treat someone to an experience such as a walk on the beach with a picnic or maybe a homemade picture frame with a special picture inside.

You could also give your valentine the gift of an experience– such as a picnic or a drive-in movie. If you are looking for more ideas, Groupon provides suggestions for events in the Tampa area.

If you’re in a more long-term relationship, you may want to go a little bigger with your gift, but in the right way. A closer relationship doesn’t mean you are expected to empty out your wallet, it just requires you to get a little more sentimental.

“I think it depends on the person’s interests,” Olivia Espinosa (’19) said. “I’d say anything that makes you think of that person… something you know will make that day special.”

Shopping for Valentine’s Day gifts can be intimidating and a source of pressure for many, but it isn’t necessary to break the bank while shopping or lavish your significant other with gifts.

The old cliché really is true: it is always the thought that counts. As long as you are thoughtful when picking out a gift, you can’t go wrong.