Essentials To Bring When Going To Disney World

If you’re going to Disney World, here is a list of essentials you should bring.

The+Disney+Castle+at+Magic+Kingdom.+

Photo Julia Guillermo

The Disney Castle at Magic Kingdom.

Julia Guillermo, Staff Writer

This past week, the Student Government Association (SGA) had the opportunity to go on a day trip to Disney World for a leadership conference. For some of us, it was a first-time experience, while others were going for their third or fourth time. I was one of the members who had not yet been to the most magical place on Earth, so I wasn’t sure what to expect. In order to prepare, I asked a few of my friends what I should bring, as well as what I should wear.

I’m certainly glad I listened to their advice because it made my first-time experience at Disney World not only enjoyable but memorable as well. If you are someone going to Disney for the first time or you just need a checklist of what to bring, I have compiled a list of essential items that will make your trip to Disney World worthwhile.

Essentials to Bring to Disney World:

1. Sunscreen: Sunscreen is a must-have when you are walking around the parks at Disney. Regardless of the weather, you should always bring this item. Florida is known for its hot climate and harsh sun rays, so this item will protect your skin from getting sunburnt! Expect to be out in the sun for a long period of time, so make sure to apply sunscreen more than once, as you will be walking around the park or standing in line.
  2. Masks: Although the COVID-19 restrictions have been lifted, I would still advise you to bring a mask. There are some areas of the park that require masks for entry, so having your own is beneficial. You are not required to wear your mask throughout the park, but there are congested areas where you may want to wear one if you prefer.
  3. Backpack/Fanny pack: Bring a backpack or a fanny pack!! It doesn’t have to be a big one, in fact, it’s better if it isn’t. Having one with you makes carrying things so much easier! Not only can you haul around the other items you need, but it keeps your hands free from holding things.
  4. Reusable water bottle: Trust me you’re going to want to have this item! With the blazing temperatures and the excessive amount of walking you will be doing, you are certainly going to be more thirsty than usual. Having your own water bottle not only keeps you hydrated throughout the day but also saves you from purchasing a $5.00 water bottle. There are also refillable water stations all throughout the park, so you don’t have to worry about running out of water!
  5. Hand sanitizer/Wet Wipes: If you are a germaphobe you will certainly not want to forget to bring both of these items! There are a lot of people and surfaces at Disney that you will be in contact with, so it’s best that you’re sanitizing every so often. Especially, when you are eating or sitting at a table it is beneficial to sanitize your hands, as well as disinfect the area you’re relaxing at.
  6. Battery Pack: Having a dead phone is the last thing you want on your trip, so make sure your battery is at 100% before leaving. Hopefully, this will allow your phone to last the whole day, while you’re there. However, if you just so happen to not charge your phone, having a battery pack is helpful.
  7. Ponchos/Umbrellas: Despite the sunny weather, Florida can surprise you with a sudden thunderstorm, so be prepared with either an umbrella or a rain jacket. A useful tip before leaving for Disney is to check the weather forecast. You really never know what type of weather you will be dealing with, so I would be aware ahead of time.
  8. Deodorant: You don’t have to bring this item, but if you feel as though it’s necessary, then definitely have it in your bag. With the sun rays beaming on you the whole day, you will surely be sweating a significant amount, so if you want to stay smelling fresh, deodorant is the way to go!
  9. Snacks: Although Disney World provides food options, most people can agree that it is on the more pricey side of things. If you are not the one who wants to spend their money on concessions, you are more than welcome to bring your own snacks. Some suggested snack options are granola bars, bags of chips, or oranges, which are all perfect for a long day at the park.
  10. Medication: If you have any medical issues, health conditions, or allergies that require medication, make sure to bring it! Your safety is the most important, so do not forget your medication. There is a lot of things happening around you simultaneously, so just be aware of your surroundings and how you are feeling.

What To Wear:

1. Hat: Bring a hat if your skin is sensitive to the sun. This also provides you a little bit of shade, as you are walking or waiting in line.
  2. Comfortable Shoes: You will be walking a significant amount, so wear shoes that are comfortable! The last thing you want is your feet hurting because you chose the wrong shoes.
  3. T-shirt: Wear a shirt that is suited for the weather and that you find most comfortable. Try not to wear anything too tight or too baggy. If you are going on any water rides I’d advise you to wear darker clothes or clothes that dry easily.
  4. Shorts/running shorts: Dealing with the hot weather, while also wearing pants can be very uncomfortable, so wearing shorts is probably the best option. Again always look at the weather, just in case Florida experiences cooler weather.
  5. Light Jacket: If the weather forecast predicts cooler weather, then definitely bring a light jacket to put on! You can always tie it around your waist or put it in your backpack.