Troupe 2660 closes the show with the opening scene from Camelot
Around the School
Robinson's Troupe 2660 Brought "Broadway Knights" To The House
Annabelle Bulger, Staff Writer • May 1, 2024
National Senior Decision Day posters for seniors to talk about their post high school plans.
Senior Decision Day
Whittaley Bowden, Senior Staff Writer • April 30, 2024

2024: A Year for Great Movies

Reboots, remakes and masterpieces
Photo IMDb
Photo of the promo for Deadpool 3, one of the most anticipated movies of 2024.

With a new year comes new movies. Directors, producers and actors come together to create either a masterpiece or a piece of trash. However, over the past decade, people have been slowly building their way up to making great movies like “Everything Everywhere All at Once” (2022), “Avatar: The Way of Water” (2022) and “Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse” (2023). With these three recently made movies having exquisite cinematography along with mind-blowing plots that get stuck in the audience’s minds for days, who knows what’s in store for this year?

1. Madame Web (Feb. 14)

Another Marvel character brought to life, Madame Web is a character played by Dakota Johnson where she has the ability to see the future and prevent it from happening. I’m pretty sure she’s somehow connected to Spider-Man and the multiverse but not much is explained in the trailer unless you watch the movie or read the comics.

2. Kung Fu Panda 4 (March 8)

Kung Fu Panda, a legendary icon who’s a part of everyone’s childhood, is coming out with another movie after 7 years. While a million things have happened since the release of the last Kung Fu Panda movie, Dreamworks has finally brought Jack Black back to reprise his famous role as “Po” and fight another well-written villain that everyone loves. Despite Po being the main character, I think that we can all agree that people focus more on the villain than the panda himself which is what makes both adults and children love these comedic movies.

3. Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire (March 22)

As audiences loved “Ghostbusters: Afterlife” because they brought back the old cast along with the new one, the directors decided to continue the story where it all started: New York City. The Spengler family teams up with the original Ghostbusters from 1984 to make an illegal research lab in order to study ghosts. Surprisingly, an ancient relic releases an evil force and freezes the entire city except them.

4. Deadpool 3 (May 3)

Since we haven’t heard from Deadpool since 2018, most, if not all, Marvel fans have been waiting for this. In this movie, Deadpool joins forces with Wolverine (another character we haven’t heard in a while) to defeat another villain. Though not much is shared about this movie other than a simple summary, people still ready their pockets to buy tickets for this long-awaited movie.

5. Captain America: Brave New World (July 26)

Ever since the Endgame, nothing’s been the same. Marvel has been making a new generation of heroes left and right with America Chavez, Black Panther and now the new Captain America. However, the plot hasn’t been revealed yet, but fans are already expecting lots as Sam Wilson adapts to his new role as Captain America.

6. Borderlands (Aug. 9)

Based on a game, famous actors such as Cate Blanchett, Jamie Lee Curtis, Ariana Greenblatt, Kevin Hart, Jack Black and Edgar Ramirez play the main characters of this new film. Lilith (Cate Blanchett) returns to her home planet of Pandora and forms an odd alliance filled with misfits on the search to find Atlas’ (Edgar Ramirez) daughter.

7. Beetlejuice 2 (Sept. 6)

Famous horror and comedy Beetlejuice makes an unexpected return from the dead after decades. However, this time he’s been called to help Lydia’s family from a spirit that came from the afterlife after its peace was disturbed by the resort built on top of its grave.

8. Dune: Part Two

Starring Timothee Chalamet, Zendaya, Florence Pugh and Austin Butler, Dune 2 has to have the most star-studded cast of 2024. Dune 2 continues the story of Paul Atreides (Timothee Chalamet) after the cliffhanger ending of the last movie. In part two, he unites with Chani (Zendaya) and the Fremen to go on a journey to seek revenge against those who destroyed his family.

It’s exciting to see new movies come to life in 2024, especially ones we’ve been waiting for. Hopefully, these movies exceed expectations and viewers will be able to leave the theaters satisfied.