Casa Azuls classic churros.
A&E
Casa Azul a Sugar-Coated Fiesta
Whittaley Bowden, Senior Staff Writer • April 26, 2024

Faye Webster’s New Album Was Magical

“Underdressed at the Symphony” released, March 1
Photo Faye Webster
Album cover for Faye Webster’s Album, “Underdressed at The Symphony”

Faye Webster released a new album “Underdressed at the Symphony” on Friday, March 1. The album contains 10 songs, with one feature from Lil Yachty.

This album was very different from her usual style, shifting from a soft indie folk into more of a pop/r&b sound. The mood of this album is a lot happier, with songs like “He Loves Me Yeah!” and “Lego Ring.” She first teased this album with the single “But Not Kiss,” a somewhat repetitive song with edgy instrumentals. She then released “Lifetime,” a very slow-sounding song that is much more in tune with her regular style.

This is the first time Webster steps into a more autotuned style of singing, which she pulls into “Underdressed at the Symphony.” Personally, I favor her natural singing voice, but I enjoyed the tone of the album with the autotune. The autotune gave a carefree and upbeat feel to a couple of her songs, whereas the twang and pitch of her natural voice can come across as somewhat melancholic. My personal favorites are “Wanna Quit All the Time” and “Underdressed at the Symphony.”

“Wanna Quit All the Time” has a tropical yet folksy beat, matching up more so with her previous albums. I really enjoyed her past albums and am honestly disappointed with the switch in her style, but music is relative and what the artist enjoys making is most important.

My other favorite, “Underdressed at the Symphony” sounds very similar; I love the echo throughout the chorus as well as the instrumentals including the twangy guitar and the deep bass. Halfway through this song, a beautiful symphony plays. Webster knows perfectly how to capture moments and emotions within her songs and display them to her listeners.

If you enjoyed songs like this instead of the pop-sounding ones, another album I would highly recommend is her debut, “Faye Webster,” or her EP “Car Therapy Sessions,” which is a remake of her previous songs with a beautiful orchestra to accompany. Overall, this album wasn’t my favorite of hers but still worth a listen. I really enjoyed her feature with Lil Yachty as their voices pair well together. I can’t wait to see her future projects and duets.