The student news site of Robinson High School

Knight Writers

• Feb. 16 is a Non-Student Day
  • Spring Break is Mar. 11-15.

Knight Writers

Knight Writers

Casa Azuls classic churros.
A&E
Casa Azul a Sugar-Coated Fiesta
Whittaley Bowden, Senior Staff Writer • April 26, 2024
POLL

Does Taylor Swift deserve the hype?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Tampa Bay AirFest Returns for the Last Time in at Least Three Years

The Tampa Bay AirFest returns this Friday and Saturday
Photo https://www.tampabayairfest.com/
Tampa Bay AirFest logo.

Mar. 29 & 30, this Friday and Saturday, the Tampa Bay AirFest returns, along with the fan-favorite U.S. Air Force Thunderbirds and free access to MacDill Air Force Base and its surrounding attractions. 

But pay attention, because it’s the last one for at least the next three years, due to an impending expansion on existing hangars.

“Because of construction needed to expand its hangars for the new KC-46 Pegasus tanker aircraft coming to MacDill Air Force Base, there won’t be another AirFest until 2027, at the earliest,” Lt. Laura Anderson, a public affairs officer for MacDill explained in an interview with the Tampa Bay Times. “We almost canceled AirFest but decided to squeeze one more in before construction starts,” she finishes.

The KC-26 themselves will be on display for public viewing, along with numerous other vehicles, from vintage and antiques to modern-day aircraft.

The AirFest is, as always, to be held on MacDill Air Force Base in South Tampa. The base’s address is 6901 S. Dale Mabry Highway. Public entrances can be found at the Dale Mabry, MacDill, and Tanker Way gates. If you have an ID with the Department of Defense, you should approach through the Bayshore gate. If you intend on biking, you should only arrive through the MacDill entrance. Remember to bring a helmet; they are required. 

RVs, campers, and other oversized vehicles will not be allowed into the base due to limited parking options. Forms of mass transportation are also prohibited, and it is strongly encouraged to use your own transportation methods and to carpool.

An alternative option is to watch from the surrounding water; since MacDill, along with the rest of South Tampa, is on a peninsula, you can get a great view from all around. There are some restrictions from getting too close to the shore, however. Don’t forget that it is an active military installation.

In preparation for a long day outside, you should bring sunglasses, sunscreen, hearing protection, mobile payment, and refillable water bottles, the website says.

“I’m most excited for the F22 raptors,” Benjamin Gingerella (‘27) said. “I like the sound of their engines. The Blue angels will also be an exciting part of the air show, all because of the high-stake aerobatic stunts they can perform. I’m also excited for the different aircraft that will be available to see. The best part is, it’s different each year, so you never know what to expect.”