Q&A: A Life of a Quarantined Student-Athlete

IB Senior Casey Ingram explains what it’s like being a quarantined student athlete.

Photo Meena Vasquez

Casey Ingram (’22) prepares to spike the ball.

Julia Guillermo, Staffer

Casey Ingram is an IB senior at Robinson High School. She is an active member of the school, as she participates in various extracurricular activities. Ingram is dedicated to making a difference around the campus,  being the president of two clubs: Knightmare and Best Buddies. Not only does she devote herself to contributing to bettering the community, but she is a student-athlete too. Ingram is one of the top students in the IB program. She dedicates her time to diligently studying and working hard in each of her classes.

Despite her already busy schedule, Ingram makes it a priority to find time for the things she loves, such as sports. Ingram has been playing for the Robinson volleyball and flag football team, since her freshman year. She truly enjoys both games, but volleyball has her heart. Ingram was named the head captain for this year’s volleyball team, where she will have the opportunity to lead her teammates to regionals. Although her high school season has ended, Ingram participates in club volleyball. Her passion to excel in school and sports makes Ingram a well-rounded student-athlete, as she strives to get better both on and off the court.

However, Ingram experienced a setback earlier in the year, as she experienced an abrupt stop in her regular schedule, due to testing positive for COVID. Ingram had to follow CDC guidelines before returning to school or participating in any extracurricular activities, which meant no sports. As a versatile student, Ingram tells what it is like being quarantined as a student-athlete; and hopes it will shed light for current student-athletes who are dealing with COVID.

How did being quarantined affect your schooling? 

Without the zoom option when I had COVID I got really behind. Especially because it was at the beginning of the quarter most of my teachers’ canvas pages were not updated.

What did you do to stay on top of your classes while you were quarantined?

I kept in touch with my friends and tried to do what I could once I felt better like copying notes.

What was your experience like having Covid and not being able to play volleyball?

I got quarantined at the worst time for my club volleyball season because I was supposed to go to Nashville for a qualifying tournament. I was really upset because that was the tournament I was most excited about.

What did you do to stay active while you were in quarantine?

During quarantine, I tried to stay hydrated and still eat healthy even when I felt bad.

How did Covid affect your performance once you returned to play?

My first practice back I was good to go because it had been a while since I had any symptoms. However, I still was facing some extreme tiredness.

What advice would you give other student-athletes who are currently quarantined?

I would say to other athletes just to take care of yourself while you are sick so you can get back to normal fast.

How did Covid affect you physically, as well as mentally?

I had a fever for two days and then I was just very lethargic. I was really glad I was vaccinated. Mentally it was tough just because I knew I was getting behind in school and not getting to participate in the tournament. It was pretty easy to get right back into training.