How Are Students Prepping For AP Exams

Stressing about exams? RHSToday has asked current IB students how they prepare for their AP exams on top of all their workload.

Photo Jadyn Grayes

Abby Goebel (’24) studies for her AP calculus exam in study hall. She finds review packets to be the most reliable form of studying.

Jadyn Grayes, Staff Writer

With AP exams right around the corner, it’s time for students to go full study mode and review everything they’ve learned this year. Students utilize different studying strategies based on how they learn best and these are some examples.

Some students find seclusion and past lesson reviews to be the best strategy. Simple does the trick.

“Honestly it depends on the exam. I always leave my room and study in the kitchen because I find that getting away from distractions helps me focus and study harder. Going over past quizzes helps me prepare for bigger tests and watching videos online about the subject material,” Sophia D’Amore (’24) said.

Other students find it easiest to plan ahead a schedule for studying.

“I would mainly suggest prioritizing your study plan so that you review your most difficult classes first. Also, I tend to start review weeks in advance and covering each unit each week. Lastly, I would practice and know how the test works (probably the best thing you can do). Do practice free range questions [on] the College Board website and watch AP daily videos on the concepts you’re unsure of,” Praveen Prabaharan (’23) said.

For other students, the most reliable strategy for studying is going by the book.

“When studying for any exam, I review my notes and explain processes out loud to see if I understand what I’m studying. If I feel like my audible explanation was well enough to teach someone then I continue. If it is not then I will review the concepts again using my textbook or by watching a video online,” Ayan Nallanshetti (’25) said.

Visual and hands-on strategies work best for some students.

“I would say my favorite study strategy is making flashcards with picture/diagrams on them so I can visualize the material,” said Sierra Hatton (’24).

Studying processes are different for every student. Some learn better visually and some are content with reading notes. Whatever strategy you choose, it’s best to get a head start on studying a couple of weeks prior to your exam date to build confidence. Happy studying!