The Best Tools for Applying to College

These are some of the best free tools recommended by guidance counselors for students applying to college.

Graphic+developed+on+Canva+depicting+high+school+graduates+and+graduation+caps.+

Photo Cecilia Cheng

Graphic developed on Canva depicting high school graduates and graduation caps.

Vikram Sambasivan, News and Features Editor

With the end of the school year approaching, many juniors have begun to worry about applying to colleges. While it is an arduous and often confusing process for many students, there are many resources freely available for students to use to become more successful in their collegiate endeavors.

Morterboard: One of the most valuable resources available to RHS students is Mortarboard, created by IB Guidance Counselor, Lesley Morter. While this source is mainly geared towards IB students, it contains valuable information that could prove necessary in gaining admission to the top universities in the state and country. This website includes information regarding the platforms through which certain collegiate systems accept applications, such as CommonApp or the University of California System Application. Morterboard additionally gives information concerning financial aid and templates for essay writing.

When there’s a will, there’s a way. Together we can help find the right tools that work for you to help you find success and build upon it. It’s easier to build children than it is to repair adults. The earlier you develop the right tools for the right situation, the greater success you will achieve.

— Lesley Morter

The Cube: At RHS, students are fortunate to have access to Robinson’s branch of the College and Career Center, nicknamed “The Cube.” This is an organization that is mainly staffed by parent volunteers who are well-versed in the college application process. They meet with students every year and help them decide on their college and career goals. They are located within the Media Center and will reopen to help students at the beginning of the 2023-2024 school year.

Neon Green Junior Handbook: Handed out at Junior Night or at the lunchroom if one was unable to make it to Junior Night, this handbook has a lot of specific information including dates, important governmental forms for financial aid (FAFSA), requirements for graduation and requirements for many prestigious in-state colleges.

School Counselors: At Robinson, there are many school counselors on both the IB and traditional side who have a wide breadth of information regarding college admissions. Scheduling a meeting with your counselor can help you gain more clarity about what one has to do in order to apply and gain admission to your dream colleges. It is also important to meet with one’s respective counselor so that they can write a good recommendation letter for your dream college.

While applying to colleges is a long process with a myriad of forms, these resources can help you navigate the process to collegiate, and eventually, career success.

“[Students should] keep an open mind. Explore your interests and find volunteer opportunities that align with possible career(s) of interest,” Morter said.