Oxfam America Hunger Banquet Tonight

Go to the banquet and see what it’s like to be as hungry as the millions of people who suffer from it everyday.

Michelle Aros, Staff Writer

The Oxfam America Hunger Banquet will be held April 2 from 6:00-7:30 pm in the Robinson cafeteria. The banquet, hosted by the Robinson UNICEF club, will include food and guest speaker Dr. Lauri Wright.

“The hunger banquet is a banquet where instead of a conventional banquet, when you enter you get a ticket that represents what class you are. It kind of simulates poverty and there’s higher, middle, and lower class and you sit according to that class. The higher classes will have better food and it’ll go down,” said Victoria Asgard (’16).”We’ll ask how they feel and it’ll just be a simulation of what hunger is like.”

The banquet offers meals but one should not expect to leave the banquet with a full stomach, as the event allows people to experience what it is like to be one of the eight million people who are left hungry everyday.

“In our day to day life we don’t really acknowledge or understand the severity of hunger and through the simulation you can sort of empathize with those who are less fortunate than us. You want to bring awareness so people care more and are willing to do more to help,” said Asgard.

The banquet was created by UNICEF president Cameron Ramey (’16) and the officers, such as Asgard.

“It was an idea from the very beginning of the year. Our president brought it up and we formulated it and from this hypothetical idea to an actual formation of the event so it was really exciting to see that transition, said Asgard.

The hunger banquet is also including a guest speaker, Dr. Lauri Wright from the University of South Florida.

“She’s a nutritionist and I believe that she was going to talk about nutrition and how it relates to hunger on a family level,” stated Asgard.

Asgard noted that the event was worth attending for all students.

“I think that just the nature of it- it’s very unconventional. You expect a banquet to be fed but there are some people that will leave with very little to no food and that’s something that most people aren’t used to. That’s going to open their eyes and also the higher class people are going to feel bad,” she said.

“You can never really see the class difference right in front of your face, but here you’ll be able to.”