Robinson band to host Rehearse-A-Thon to fundraise for upcoming season

Photo Isabel Hanewicz

Marching band will host its Rehearse-A-Thon Saturday, Sept. 24 to fundraise for its upcoming competitions.

Isabel Hanewicz, RHStoday Editor-in-Chief

Band camps, football games and Saturday competitions do not come cheap for Robinson’s marching band and Starlets. To help offset the costs, the program will host its annual Rehearse-A-Thon Saturday, Sept. 24.

Each student is expected to raise a minimum of $50 for the event, and there will also be a raffle featuring gifts from sponsors. Band director Christopher Revett also noted in the event’s flyer that the nine hours of rehearsing will help the band finalize its show for competition.

“Band is an activity that heavily relies upon unity and communication,” said Angel Purganan (’17), a drill sergeant. “The Rehearse-A-Thon fundraiser, like all the fundraisers that the band participates in, is a very effective way to motivate everyone to strive for the same goal.”

Band’s ultimate goal is to raise $12,000, which would cover the costs for coach buses and a hotel stay for their October trip to compete in Vero Beach. Because the trips do not receive school funding, without the money, the band would have to travel in school buses and either sleep in a gym or return to Tampa that night and come back to Vero Beach the next morning.

“Everything we do in band costs money, especially at the level [we] compete in,” Purganan said. “Holding a fundraiser to help raise the large amount of money we have to pay drives us to make sure that the money we raise is put into good use.”

If you are interested in helping the Marching Knights, either with a monetary donation or a raffle gift donation, please see a band student or talk to band director Christopher Revett.