Kick off spring break with the Gasparilla Music Festival

The Gasparilla Music Festival is a highly anticipated Tampa Bay event that could be the perfect weekend get-away.

Lillian Martin, News Editor

Looking for a way to start off spring break? The annual Gasparilla Music Festival will be held this following weekend, Saturday, March 10 and Sunday, March 11, in Downtown Tampa at Curtis Hixon Waterfront Park and Kiley Gardens.

The festival will feature musical acts from a wide variety of genres, including headliners The Roots, Spoon, and Grammy Award winner Father John Misty, as well as several other local artists. There will also be food available from top local restaurants.

The lineup differs from other major music festivals, and that’s only a part of what makes it unique.

The stages are about five minutes apart, making it extremely easy to go from one stage to the next. In past years, there have also been surprises that tend to pop up between sets, and can feature anything from random blue-grass sets to magicians.

Advance tickets for Saturday are $40 (VIP $150), Sunday $30 (VIP $100) and $60 for a two-day pass (VIP $200). Click here to buy a ticket.

If students are in need of community service hours, it’s not too late to volunteer at the event. Slots are still open, and volunteers are granted with a free ticket to the festival, as well as a free T-shirt. Click here to sign up.

If you go:

Address: Curtis Hixon Waterfront Park, Kiley Gardens Park, 600 N. Ashley Drive, 33602

Dates and Times: Saturday, March 10 from 11:30 a.m. to 11 p.m., Sunday, March 11 from 11:30 a.m. to 9 p.m. To find times for specific sets, click here.

Parking: Hourly parking is available in the Poe Garage, Curtis Hixon Garage and Fort Brooke Garage. Street parking meters north of Kennedy Blvd are free on weekends.

Food and drinks: There will be local restaurants providing food and drinks at the festival, and you can find the list of offerings here.

What to bring: 

Your ticket: This one is pretty self explanatory.

A blanket: Standing for hours can get tiring, so it’s a good idea to bring a blanket or towel that you can use to lay in the grass in-between sets.

A jacket: It’s set to rain on Saturday, so a jacket may be good to bring just in case.

Money: The festival will offer plenty of food and beverages, but they are not included in the ticket price.