Talent to the stage

Students and teachers hit the stage with their own renditions of songs and dances for the 2018 Talent Show

Zjala+Phelps+%2818%29+preforms+Love+Like+You+by+Rebecca+Sugar.+

Photo Abby Meyer

Zjala Phelps (’18) preforms “Love Like You” by Rebecca Sugar.

Nicole Perdigon, Staff Writer

Whether it took two months or two hours of preparation, many Robinson students were ready and excited to put on their best show at the 2018 Robinson High School Talent show on Wednesday, March 28.

The show was hosted by the Tri-M Music Honor Society in the auditorium and it featured performances by both students and teachers. Reggie Allen (‘19) placed first, Linda Dillon (’18) placed second and Nikko Ferrer (’18) placed third.

While many of the contenders poured hours of practice into making sure they were prepared, others went out on a whim deciding to preform last minute.

Kaitlyn Scott (’19), who performed a cover of “All I Want” by Kodaline, has been singing for as long as she can remember and although she wasn’t in the top three performances, her presence on stage was one that was favored by the audience.

Scott didn’t know she was going to try for the talent show until the day of auditions when she happened to have the required $5 audition fee.

“I practiced maybe four or five times,” Scott said. “I didn’t practice too much but I didn’t want to over practice it because then it’s not as raw and I wanted it to be raw and have emotion in it and not feel fake.”

Some performers, like Scott, sang covers while others danced original choreography.

Allen did just this as he danced to a mashup of songs he felt he related to. Allen performed a style of dance called vogueing and, according to him, it consists of mostly hand movements while still incorporating parts of the lower body.

The crowd loved Allen’s confidence and his ability to lay it all out on the stage— which he literally did when he jumped into a split to end his performance.

The auditorium erupted with every snap of his fingers and swing of his hips.

However, it hasn’t always been so easy for Allen to put his style out on display.

“I felt nervous, but I felt happy because I had people cheering me on,” Allen said. “[Performing] doesn’t really phase me anymore. In middle school it did but now I’m in my skin and I’m comfortable with who I am.”

Click here to see the talent show photo gallery.