OneBlood returns to Robinson

Robinson hosted their second blood drive of the 2018-2019 school year

Alyssa Acosta, Staff Writer

On November 8th, 2018 Robinson hosted their second blood drive of the year. The blood drive lasted from the start of 3rd period until the end of the day. To be eligible to donate, students must be 16 years or older with a form signed by their parents giving them permission. There are also health requirements each student much reach. Students must have the correct amount of iron,  good blood pressure, temperature, and cholesterol so the blood that is donated is actually healthy enough to be used for patients in need. However, since it is the second blood drive of the school year, students who participated in the first one will not be able to donate, after donating blood you must wait at least 8 weeks to donate again.

The blood drive is ran by OneBlood which is a non-profit organization whos mission is to enhance the health and well being to others through their work with blood and stem cells products. They are responsible for transporting each bag collected to local hospitals to be used. Blood can only last up to three days outside of the body, so it is important to be able to consistently be able to supply blood for those who need it.

Each bag of blood collected can help save up to three people in need. In each bag they collect about three pints of blood. The blood that is donated is given to patients in need of platelets, red and white blood cells and plasma. The blood is taken to local hospital to help patients that lack any of those things.