Relay For Life Returns

Robinson hosted the first Relay for Life since the COVID-19 pandemic.

Abbi Fishman (‘22)and her Relay for Life team gather around their tent for a picture

Julia Guillermo, Staff Writer

Relay for Life, the American Cancer Society’s largest fundraiser that takes place across the nation and around the globe, returned to Robinson on Friday, April 22 at the Jack Peter’s football field from 3:45 p.m. to 5:00 a.m. on Saturday, April 23. The objective of Relay for Life is to help alleviate stress on the cancer patient and the caregiver by raising funds for cancer research and a potential cure. The association has been around since 2004 and continues to be one of the largest charities to fight against cancer.

Abbi Fishman (’23), Robinson’s PTSA representative for Relay for Life, helped organize a team named Oliver’s Army after IB teacher Tiffany Oliver was recently diagnosed with cancer earlier this year. Fishman was assisted by the PTSA Sponsor Ami Welch, who helped her plan and organize the event. Student Two Student (S2S) also collaborated with PTSA, where they all came together to show their support towards the fight to cure cancer.

“So many people are affected and lose their lives and a cure needs to be found.” Fishman said.

Each individual was asked to fundraise at least $100 to help reach the team goal of $1,000. On the day of the event, the team had exceeded their goal by $2,724 and was ranked #11 overall. Despite not reaching the overall event goal of $100,000 they were very close with their effort and raised a total of $97,043. People can still donate to the cause throughout anytime of the year, which allows for active participation within the community.

“Even if someone can’t donate, they can still spread awareness and share a link to donate to their account on American Cancer Societies Fundraising App.” Fishman said.

Volunteers began setting up around 3:45 p.m., where they helped put up tents and other activities, such as tug of war, spike ball and musical chairs. High schools from all over Hillsborough County came to help show their support as did others from around South Tampa who came to participate.

“My favorite part at the event was definitely the Luminaria service. We heard from survivors and caregivers which was really impactful.” Fishman said.

Students got the opportunity to hear survivors stories throughout the night, as well as take laps around the track to raise awareness. The event ended around 5 a.m. the next morning, and Fishman couldn’t be more thrilled about how it turned out.

“I hope people had a great time and realized how many people cancer has affected” Fishman said.