What I Wish I Would’ve Known: Freshmen Advice from a Senior

Bailey Adams, Sports Editor

Dear Freshman,

Welcome to Robinson High, a place you will definitely become familiar with over the next four years. Freshman year can be intimidating at first, but despite the work, high school can and will be fun, if you let it.

I cannot tell you how to live your high school lives. But, I can tell you that I wish someone would have given me advice before I started high school.

So, here are the things I have done since stepping foot on campus three years ago that have helped me stay sane. Feel free to take all, some or none of my advice.

Be prepared for things to change.

A lot will change for you over the next four years. Between your first and last days of high school, your interests, habits and even your friends will change. Everyone around you will be going through the same mental and social changes, so as time passes, just try to find yourself and your niche. It might seem weird to you at times, but just roll with it.

Be yourself.

You will learn very quickly that the only person you really know is yourself. Things will happen during your high school career that will change who you are, but throughout your experience, stay true to yourself. Do not lose sight of your morals and aspirations. You will find that if you ignore peer pressure and manipulation, you will have a much easier time finding a comfortable spot in your life among the right group of friends.

Get involved with your school.

Sure, no high school really compares to what you see in movies and on television. That being said, you can still have fun. Find a club that fits your interests, and if no club appeals to you, try starting one. High school is all about experiences. Go to your school’s concerts, plays and athletic events. Every student body wants to build up spirit and a sense of pride around their school. Play a role in that.

Find a way to be well-rounded.

You will have your own group of friends, but that doesn’t mean you can’t branch out and get to know different people. After all, when you look around at your freshman class, you will be with most of those people for the next four years. It is important to stay well-rounded, and that goes well beyond in-school friend groups. You will have to simultaneously juggle academics, extracurricular activities, a social life and family time. It will be a struggle to find that balance, but it comes with time.

Listen.

Most of the time, whether you think so or not, your parents and teachers know more than you. Give it some thought before rebelling against what you have been taught by those around you. The adults in your life want what is best for you. Maintain a good relationship with your parents and teachers. They will be there to help you when you need it, and you will need it.

One last thing – any time a senior says something degrading to you about being a freshman, laugh it off and take it in stride. We all heard the same comments just three years ago. In most cases, none of it is personal. Most of us aren’t really that scary, we’re just very sleep deprived.

Go Knights!

Bailey Adams, Sports Editor