Throwing in the towel won’t do you any good

Just because something hard doesn’t mean give up.

Lindsey Chadwick, Staff Writer

Embed from Getty Images

As a kid my parents have taught me that I should never give up, finish what I started, push through even though it is tough. However, the people in our generation, for some reason think it is fine to quit. Now call me crazy but, just because you think something is difficult, doesn’t mean you can throw in the towel and call it a day.

People this day and age think it’s normal to quit because they aren’t good enough or even someone else doesn’t think they’re good enough. People ought to believe in themselves rather than bring themselves down. People should push each other to be the best version of themselves, stick through and work hard with whatever they are doing. Don’t lose heart and bring each other up.

Not becoming a captain by senior year or not making varsity or not being president of a club doesn’t mean to give up, it does not mean quit or surrender. It means to work more persistently and want to keep working towards that goal. Set short term goals and meet them to feel more accomplished. Setting long term goals is a good idea too because then it gives something to strive towards. 

For me, I play sports and if something gets hard or if something doesn’t feel right, I go outside or to a nearby field and work it out. I don’t just give up, I work harder to figure it out and fix it. I like to set goals and set a positive attitude to myself, as well as others. 

Grades dropping is also not a reason to stop trying, don’t continue to let it drop. Working harder to get the grade up has to be a priority. Kids my age do not realize that the grades that you get in high school matter. They matter for college and the job you get in the future. Let’s say in math the smart thing to do if you do not understand something would be, go to the teacher and ask for help, push yourself to learn the material instead of blaming other people. Do not just continue the rest of the year not knowing how to do something speak up and ask for help.

Do not ever give up, keeping working and if you fall down, then get back up and try again. Whether it is the first time or millionth time, get back at it and keep trying. Work through the challenges, keep pushing forward, and good things will come.