A clip from the cinematic trailer used to announce the Sorry Im Outside Tour.
A&E
PARTYNEXTDOOR4 Is a Party In Itself
Jadyn Grayes, A&E and Multimedia Editor • May 5, 2024
Cover of Gracie Abrams new album cover The Secret of Us announced to release June 21.
Gracie Abrams unlocks her new album "THE SECRET OF US"
Sophie Le, Incoming Opinion Editor • May 5, 2024

Skincare Mania

The world’s obsession with skincare may be more hurtful than helpful
Photo Ryan Rolle
A wide array of colorful skincare

I can confidently say that if you’re a teenage girl, you’d be lying if you said you’ve never heard of skincare brands like Glow Recipe, Drunk Elephant, Bubble and The Ordinary. Thousands of girls post videos on social media flaunting their wide array of different moisturizers, serums and toners. You begin to wonder, is all of this even necessary? Do you really need a skincare routine eight steps long?

“It seems that everywhere you look, there are new skincare tips and tricks that can range from the elaborate, such as a 10-step nighttime routine, to the bizarre—like vampire facials. But not all viral trends are good, and they certainly may not be good for your skin,” said Angela J. Lamb, Associate Professor of Dermatology at Mount Sinai’s Ichan School of Medicine in an article published by Mount Sinai.

When you follow trends you see online, including influencers being paid to convince you to buy certain products, you can wind up with a routine that damages your skin instead. Many brands these days use inviting tactics like cute packaging and nice scents to convince you to buy it without even looking at the ingredients. Companies like Glow Recipe will make aesthetically pleasing bundles of skincare and you buy them, then all of a sudden you break out and can’t figure out what caused it. I believe that overusing skincare is something that most teens do these days, but using so many products will make your skin even more sensitive. It also costs so much extra just to end up doing damage in the end.

Skincare by Loreal speaks on how you should add new products one at a time. “The problem with constantly switching up your skincare routine is that if your skin becomes irritated, you’ll have no way of pinpointing which product triggered the flare-up,”

The same article later recommends that if you enjoy using many products, at least add them one at a time so you can make sure each product is safe for your skin. Overall, you shouldn’t just go buy whatever becomes trendy, you should put money towards long-lasting and effective products.

According to Curology, a skincare brand, there is an easy skin routine that is much more useful yet affordable.”A good skincare regimen only really needs to involve cleansing, moisturizing and protecting with SPF in the morning and treating in the evening. By keeping things simple, you’re less likely to overwhelm your skin and risk irritation or other side effects like dryness.”

Your skin naturally keeps itself pretty healthy, as a teenager all we need to worry about is dryness, oily skin or acne. It’s important to do research on what ingredients you’re putting on your face.

Anything more than that is just over the top, you’re a teenager I promise you don’t need an eye-brightening cream. If I were you, I would take all those expensive products off of your Christmas list and first do some research on what your skin needs.