Spring Sports Update: 3/7-3/11

Bailey Adams, Sports Editor

Baseball

The Knights started the week with an 8-0 win on Tuesday against Middleton, improving their district record to 7-1. Mitchell Tozian (’16) went 3-for-4 with a double, three RBIs and a run scored. Shawn McGory (’16) finished with four hits in four plate appearances while Killian McCray (’17) added three hits of his own. Robinson dropped its non-district matchup with Wharton by a score of 7-2 on Thursday night, bringing the Knights’ overall record to 8-3.

The team competes in the Saladino Tournament over spring break, with games at 10 a.m. Saturday vs. Blake, 1 p.m. Monday vs. Alonso, and 10 a.m. Tuesday vs. Lennard. Their games will be held at Sickles High School ( 7950 Gunn Hwy, 33626), although the tournament takes place in multiple locations across Tampa. For the complete schedule, including championship round games, click here.

Softball

The Lady Knights cinched a 10-0 win over Middleton Tuesday, bringing their district record to 7-0. The Lady Knights dropped their non-district matchup with Wharton 5-0 on Thursday night, bringing their overall record to 7-4. After losing the first three games of the season, Robinson has won seven of the last nine.

The team competes in the Leopard Slam Tournament Friday at Tom Varn Park (306 Darby Lane, Brooksville 34601) Friday, with games at 10 a.m. and 2 p.m., with possible games on Saturday depending on the team’s performance.

Boys Lacrosse

The Knights came away with their second win in the last three games on Tuesday, beating Tampa Bay Tech by a score of 5-3. However, they fell back into the loss column on Thursday, falling to Berkeley by a score of 22-2.

Girls Lacrosse

The Lady Knights’ record now stands at 8-2 after a 19-3 win at Tampa Bay Tech on Tuesday night and an 11-10 victory on Thursday at Berkeley.

Boys Tennis

Robinson dropped both matches this week, losing Monday’s match at Newsome by a score of 7-0 and Thursday’s match against Alonso 4-3. The losses were just the team’s second and third of the season, respectively.

Girls Tennis

Robinson improved to 8-0 with a 7-0 win on Monday against Newsome, who was previously undefeated. At Alonso Thursday, they continued their undefeated streak with a 4-0 win over the Ravens.

Boys Track

Boys track took second at their home meet Wednesday night against Tampa Bay Tech and Jefferson. Top finishers include Dannys Marrero (’16), who took first in the 1600 and 3200 and Sean McGlone (’16), who won the pole vault. The team travels to Jefferson Wednesday, March 23 for the American Western Conference Championships.

Girls Track

Girls track won their home meet Wednesday night, beating Tampa Bay Tech and Jefferson. Top finishers include Raegan Giberson (’17), who took first in the 1600 and 3200, Vivika Sheppard (’18), who took first in the 800, Luiza Loges (’17), who won the pole vault and the girls 4×400 meter relay, who placed first. The team travels to Jefferson Wednesday, March 23 for the American Western Conference Championships.

Flag Football

The Knights dominated their first game of the season with a 52-0 win over district school Jefferson. They return to action Monday, March 21 at Blake High School (1701 N. Boulevard, 33607) to take on the Yellow Jackets in another district matchup. The game is scheduled for a 7 p.m. start.