Robinson keeps playoff hopes with 20-12 win over Spoto

Photo Isabel Hanewicz

Devin Jandura (’19) celebrates after the Knights took over the game in the end of the fourth quarter.

Macy McClintock, Staff Writer

After dropping last week’s’ pivotal district game to Jesuit 56-3, the Knights returned to face Spoto in a district and homecoming game that also served as senior night. With a comeback to a 20-12 win, the Knights remain a contender in the battle for district runner-up.

“We knew we could win, but we needed to execute. In football, on paper or on film you could be the team, but it doesn’t matter if you don’t do it Friday” head coach Shawn Taylor said. “We got it together when it mattered, everything came together.

The game got off to a rough start for the Knights,consisting of an early on Spartan touchdown and multiple penalties. A lack of offensive movement caused the Knights to turn over on downs, which culminated in a 55-yard run into the end zone for Spoto. At the end of the half, the Knights managed to get on the board with a 30-yard touchdown run by Anfernee Alston (‘17).

A Crowning Moment

During halftime, 2016 homecoming royalty was introduced and unveiled. While underclassmen students for countess, count, duchess, duke, princess and prince were announced earlier this week, the game’s ceremony honored the inner court for king and queen and crowned the 2016 Homecoming Queen McKenna Tyson (’17) and 2016 Homecoming King De’Von Hunter (’17).

In the fourth quarter, a 10-yard pass to Najee Fitzgerald (‘17) and a successful extra point by kicker William Roseman (‘18) gave Robinson a one-point lead. With the game clock ticking down and the Spartans in a scramble, the Knights’ defense was able to force a turnover deep in their own territory, which resulted in another touchdown.

Alston, who recovered from a torn ACL at the end of the 2015 season, played a major role in the Knight’s success, running over 150 yards during the game.

“If we beat Jefferson Friday, it’s a three way tie for second, so then we will have a tie breaker.” said Taylor. “But Jefferson’s a great team. We really need to work hard this week.”

The Knights will face Jefferson in a district matchup and the final regular season game of the season, a game they must win if they want to make the playoffs. Kickoff is sent for 7:30 p.m. on Friday, Oct. 28 at Jefferson High School (4401 W Cypress St, Tampa, FL 33607).